Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

30 gallon paludarium

CoreySheli

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a heavily planted 30 gallon paludarium build. I was wondering what I could put in it. I'm thinking of some kind of newt, I just have a few qualifications: active, will use the water and land portion, will eat live foods but also pellets, easy to care for, readily available, handle 70-75 degree Fahrenheit temps.. Are there any newts out there that fit these qualifications? I was thinking maybe eastern newts or fire belly newts but I heard they are almost fully aquatic and I would like something that can use the land area also. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thunder7

Reaction score
Those are the "few" qualifications everyone is looking for in their newts lol:happy:
With that said there are a few species that meet all or almost all of them.
1 Cynops cyanurus:
active, easy to feed, tolerate warmer temperatures, should be available from certain breeders on this site at some times of the year. Mine have used both the land and water areas of their aquarium consistently

2 Cynops pyrrogaster
See above but harder to find aquatic adults. Raising terrestrial juveniles can be hard work and they take a while to be suitable to inhabit your main aquarium.

3 Tylototriton verrucosus
These newts fit all the parameters perfectly but are very hard to find:(

I would avoid Eastern newts and Cynops orienteles. They both require cooler temperatures and are more difficult to take care of.
Hope this helps

CoreySheli

Reaction score
Those are the "few" qualifications everyone is looking for in their newts lol:happy:
With that said there are a few species that meet all or almost all of them.
1 Cynops cyanurus:
active, easy to feed, tolerate warmer temperatures, should be available from certain breeders on this site at some times of the year. Mine have used both the land and water areas of their aquarium consistently

2 Cynops pyrrogaster
See above but harder to find aquatic adults. Raising terrestrial juveniles can be hard work and they take a while to be suitable to inhabit your main aquarium.

3 Tylototriton verrucosus
These newts fit all the parameters perfectly but are very hard to find:(

I would avoid Eastern newts and Cynops orienteles. They both require cooler temperatures and are more difficult to take care of.
Hope this helps

Yes that helps a lot, thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1