Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Veins showing - is this a danger sign?

SarahandRich

Reaction score
I seem to recall on this site somewhere, someone posted pics of an axie whose veins showed up on the tail fin and gills. Two of mine have the same symptoms today. Any ideas? Is this bad? Their water was appallingly filthy this morning when i came down - we'd given them frozen bloodworms for the 1st time and the mess they made, with diluted blood everywhere was not a pretty sight. They ate the bloodworms, but look all veiny this morning. Have cleaned 100% of the water and the tank now. Never had substrate.

The others in different tanks (we have 30 babies, all with back legs just grown, 2-3ins long, 2months-ish old). The two in question are the two we plan to keep, the biggest and healthiest - until this morning :confused:

Kal El

Reaction score
Hello Sarahandrich,

I too have read about the "vein" like appearance in the tail of an axolotl. If I recall correctly, it usually means that the axolotl is stressed.

Jay.

SarahandRich

Reaction score
The water and tank is all clean now, his tank mate, though still showing veins as well, appears not to be stressed, but the largest one is now floating on the top some of the time. I'm beginning to worry... :confused:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Try to keep the tank/ water cool and clean...it may settle. If it gets worse try putting them in the fridge. I noticed my lighter coloured axolotl would occasionally get 'veins' when they were due a pooh.

SarahandRich

Reaction score
Try to keep the tank/ water cool and clean...it may settle. If it gets worse try putting them in the fridge. I noticed my lighter coloured axolotl would occasionally get 'veins' when they were due a pooh.
Thank you for that. They do seem to be fading a bit now. Lesson learned: never leave defrosted bloodworm in a tank overnight (I'm even nervous about giving it at all now). As for poo - they all do that alright. And plenty of it!!

natalie14

Reaction score
I have been looking on the site for a post on veins as my 2 White Axie’s seem to have a lot of small veins showing up all over there body’s & more noticeable on the top of there head’s??

There water reading are PH 7.4 nitrate/nitrite/ammonia are 0

There is hardly not that much current was I don’t know what could be stressing them out????

They don’t really pooh that much to be honest & they mainly eat earth worms.

:confused::(

Kal El

Reaction score
I have been looking on the site for a post on veins as my 2 White Axie’s seem to have a lot of small veins showing up all over there body’s & more noticeable on the top of there head’s??

There water reading are PH 7.4 nitrate/nitrite/ammonia are 0

There is hardly not that much current was I don’t know what could be stressing them out????

They don’t really pooh that much to be honest & they mainly eat earth worms.

:confused::(

Hello Natalie14,

Looks like you are doing everything by the books- which is great! :happy:

You could keep the "cleanest" water for your axolotl but environmental factors can still stress your axolotl, for instance:

- High traffic zone
- The temperature
- Outside light

Another thing that you have to keep in mind is that axolotls also utilise cutaneous respiration (i.e. breathing through the skin). Thus, these veins/capillary beds could be becoming more apparent because your axolotl is increasing its gas exchange with the environment. This itself is no cause for concern.

Jay.

natalie14

Reaction score
That might be it as they are in the kitchen & it is the busiest part of the house, I might move them & see how they are.

Thanks
N

J

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1