Random White Spot on Gills?

I was thinking of getting some red sand

Many people have used coloured sand before, just make sure that it's aquarium safe.

Does anyone know of red plants that are good to put in the tank?

Try looking at this website for some inspiration: http://www.tropica.com/default.asp
You're going to want a plant that can tolerate the same environment as the axolotl. For instance, a plant can thrive in an environemnt with a pH of approximately 7 is good. Also, you're going to want a plant that has minimal light requirement.

Jay.

Yea that is the problem I have right now, the pet shop guy talked me into this gorgeous purple sand telling me how great it is for fish tanks and then once i got it home I realized it is Calcium sand and slowly disolves into my water. whoopee. thanks for the advice :) I am always so glad you guys are around so I don't end up making horrible mistakes!

I wondered how the white spot turned out for thya. My albino axie Ghost just got something that looks the same this morning. I'll post picts tomorrow. I saw her fighting with my wild type Goblin a little yesterday, so it may be a bite. She's pretty sensitive, she's had some issues before, but she always heals pretty fast. I'm worried trying to cure her may be worse for her then the spot. I know she would hate salt water and being jostled in and out for baths. She's acting normal, eating, and is very alert of her surroundings.

This morning when I checked on Ghost the white spot was gone and the gill it was on is shorter then before. I'm guessing it was a bite and it broke off. Her gill looks good and pink now. I'll post again if her condition changes. As of now, I'm glad I didn't bathe her in salt right away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back