Illness/Sickness: New Axolotl- floating, not eating.

wow : D I love your tank!
are they all artificial plants?
how big is your tank?

I aspire to have a tank like yours now. lol

so it's okay for them to hang around toward the surface if they've crawled themselves up there? just checking because i don't want to freak out if it does that.
i've done enough freaking out over the last few days, i think.

Hi,

If they crawl up on an object or are choosing to go to the surface its fine as long as they are not un-intentionally floating up.

If they are trying to get out the water though the water parameters are most likely bad so the axolotl wants to get out.

Everything in my tank apart from the moss and rocks is artificial including the sand.

Im about to feed my axies with some worms i will try to get a pic of miniziller smoking his pipe :p

Worms are nutrionally the best staple for your axolotls i just get mine from the garden because we use no pesticides. I dont even have a wormery i just get them out the floor :p

Last edited:
Hi,

Unfortinately he munched the worm up in 2 bites and the white axolotls munched theirs up in a single bite lol :p

My tank is 3ft long 2ft high and 1.5ft wide.

UGHHHHH DISGUSTING!

In one of my white axolotls i can see the worm inside him! Ughh thats just disgusting.

LOL
Is it still alive? : D Wriggling around?
There's nothing disgusting about it. That's nature... Yummy delicious wormy nature.

That's awesome. if it weren't so dry around here, i'd get my own worms to feed it. I think i'll have a hard time trying to find some though. might have to just go buy some from a pet store.

i'm totally hyped now and want to go buy some plants and stuff to put in the tank.
it's lucky i need to sleep before tomorrow... before i go "plant-happy".

Hi,

Lol it dies within seconds because of the ph in the axies stomach is like 1 or 2 or something like that rayson told me once but i forgot :p

I wont be on much in weekdays i have college monday-friday 8:30am - 3:40pm. Dunno what time this will be for you it might be late at night for you.

Ohhhh wellll. I had a feeling that would be the case. lol

Myeah, it's 1:08 AM Monday here. I have to wait 'til I can go out of town to get the plants and stuff. The better pet stores are at least an hour away either side of town.

Hi,

Can you get a picture of your axolotl so I can clearly see him/her because your photos all have just the axolotls tail sticking out in the back lol.

Kay, I'll try.
I might go get a background for the tank. It's hard to see the axolotl because of the dark behind the tank. xD And because it is black.

I think I need a bigger tank. Or maybe I just want one. :)

I need to get me some substraaaate. And plantsssss.

Hey, by the way. How long do axolotls usually take to settle in?

When i put MIniziller when he was my only axolotl in the 2ft he took about a week to be fine and not cautious everywhere he goes.

He was eating the next day after i put him in but as soon as he was settled i bought 2 other axolotls and a 3ft tank and put him with them.

Then it took about 3-4 days for them to settle because miniziller would crawl forward a bit then the leustics would slowly follow him around the tank :p

D'you find you have any problems with having more than one axolotl in the tank? Do they get a bit territorial? If this one turns out alright, I wouldn't mind getting a bigger tank and adding a friend.

I just know that fish get territorial and will try to attack anything that gets in their area.

And also, here's a video. It's hard getting a photo with my laptop. It's the only camera I can currently use.

Facebook Video

Last edited:
Looking at your video, your axolotl seems fine. Do check the water parameters in case there are any problems there, also are you using a filter?

Ahnu, I don't have a filter yet. I've had to just manually keep the water clean as possible. I'll be able to get one either Thurs-Fri or Mon.

They don't get territorial but they bump into eachother sometimes and its makes them jump.

The only problems i had is when they were in the bag i bought them in together they kept nipping each other so i had to be speedy once i got back home to put them in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back