White Axolotl Red Tail?!?!?!

axygirl20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone
Just wondering if someone could help me out!
I've just noticed that my white axolotl isnt looking too good. His tail looks really red, as if the blood vessels are close to the surface?
My water is fine temp is around 20-21oc it changes but very slowly.
Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are all 0 and the p.h is 7.5.
The tank itself is 3 ft and i just have the 1 axolotl in there.
He has a little "house" and a few plants in there with him.
If it carries on i will be taking him straight to my vet.
Can anyone help?
I will try to get a picture on here if i can work it out!
Any advice would be great
Thanks

I got a albino axolotl and when I feed her or when she is swimming her gills turn flaming red and her tail turns pink. I think it's perfectly normal, the blood curculation is raised because of the effort and when the axolotl hunts.
however if the tail isn't pink but red like you say I don't know what the problem good be sorry..

Fred my Luecistic's gills turn very dark pink after eating bloodworms, almost red.

I also usually notice his tail turns a darker shade of pink after feeding too, i suspect it's the pigmentation in their blood.

I actually use his gills as an indicator of how hungry he is, they go light pink after a day or two :)

I don't know if/how this would affect its tail, but if you have 0 nitrate, then your tank is not cycled. Are you changing out all of the water daily?

How big is he?
Finley (my leucistic) tail sometimes is rather red. Usually when he's active moreso when he's dropping spermatophores!

Mel

I have an albino axolotl who is about 5 or 6 years old. Her tail goes from almost white, to pink when she's active. I think it's just because her activity encourages blood circulation and her skin is quite translucent (can see veins and skeleton in her tail). This might be more obvious when they're younger too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back