Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: 1/3 of my larvae has died

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
Well I don’t know how to start because frankly I’m really depressed and have been the last few days. As of now I have 1/3 of the larvae that I had days before. All these death occurred within the last 4 to 5 days. Before that I had around 3 death total within 3-4 weeks. At the beginning of the week I had 40 some larvae I’m now in the upper twenties. The only thing that has changed is that I have started feeding the larger ones whiteworms.

I should also add that I have eggs from different batches that hatched at different time. I have some larvae currently only being feed microworms. No deaths have occurred within the ones that only eating microworms. So I suspect it could have something to do with the whiteworms. Of course the whiteworms themselves are harmless but possibly something related.

There a few things to take into consideration. One, I used soil found outside that I then cooked to attempt to ensure it sterility. Two, soon after I place the worms in the dirt there was mold present in their container, though it soon disappeared. Three, when I feed the larvae sometimes small amounts of soil get in there containers with them. I have witnessed some of them eat this soil and spit it out on various occasions. Can consuming soil be a cause of death?

As I stated before I have not had much experience with larvae deaths. But all the larvae deaths seem to end similarly. First the refusal of food. After which, they start to arch their back(this is not to be confused with tail curling). Within the next day or so I will find them with poop coming out of them, died.

As of right now I have a few that are listless and will not eat that where days ago eating happily. Is there anything I can do to help them out and attempt to save them?

I really want to make sure I take the best care I can of these guys. Its been my priority from the beginning so your advice is very appreciated.

Thank you.
:(

Reaction score
I would definitely stop feeding the white worms. Harvest as many as you can from the soil and purchase some organic soil from a garden store. Rinse the worms really well and then let them be in that soil. Baking wouldn't get rid of fertilizers and certainly that mold wasn't a good sign. I'd repeat this process again in maybe a week or two with new soil again and then consider them safe to feed.

Also, microworms aren't the most nutritious of foods. Most recommend microworms only as a back-up. Perhaps some of them aren't tolerating the switch well - although I think the unknown soil + mold is more likely to be a problem.

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
i've called all places near me and all i can get my hands on is brine shrimp eggs? will my 1 inch larvae eat bbs? or are they to big? how long can you feed them bbs before they refuse it?

the store closes in a hour or so!! :(

Reaction score
At one inch, BBS should be fine. It will take a day or two for it to hatch (put it under constant light and a heating pad if possible), and buy a 'soft net' if they have one as well as it is small enough to catch the BBS(the brine shrimp nets are TOO large). You could also use a tea strainer or nylon pantyhose. You need to rinse the salt off of them before feeding. Good luck!

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
just got back from my bike ride from the pet shop. i have setup everything up for my brine shrimp and hopefully in 24 hours i'll have a ton of bbs.

in bad news i'm now down to 1/2 as a few more have died since posting.

thanks for all the help guys

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you've asked all the pet shops near you about live blackworms (some shops call them live bloodworms)?

Try moving some of the survivors to a clean container of clean water. There are other possible reasons besides the whiteworms.
Caudata Culture Articles - Why Larvae Die

dragongirl413

Reaction score
Aw :( Feeding mine bbs along with whiteworms has been working really well for me (I use coconut fiber with a little organic potting soil mixed in). I kinda strongly doubt the whiteworms alone are to blame, unless that soil was chemically treated... But I could be wrong, I was feeding mine the worms along with the bbs, so maybe that makes the difference. What water are you using? I hope the rest grow and do very well!

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
I assume you've asked all the pet shops near you about live blackworms (some shops call them live bloodworms)?

Try moving some of the survivors to a clean container of clean water. There are other possible reasons besides the whiteworms.
Caudata Culture Articles - Why Larvae Die

all survivors have been moved. i don't think it had anything to so with water conatmination though because i age my water 5 days and put dechlorinator prior to using it. i also do daily full water changes.

Aw :( Feeding mine bbs along with whiteworms has been working really well for me (I use coconut fiber with a little organic potting soil mixed in). I kinda strongly doubt the whiteworms alone are to blame, unless that soil was chemically treated... But I could be wrong, I was feeding mine the worms along with the bbs, so maybe that makes the difference. What water are you using? I hope the rest grow and do very well!

In no way was I blaming the whiteworms. I don’t think they had anything to do with it. But its interesting that the only ones that died are ones that fed on whiteworms. To me this is a sign that I possibly contaminated them by using soil I dug up from out side.

dragongirl413

Reaction score
In no way was I blaming the whiteworms. I don’t think they had anything to do with it. But its interesting that the only ones that died are ones that fed on whiteworms. To me this is a sign that I possibly contaminated them by using soil I dug up from out side.

Interesting... yeah, I wonder if soil contamination is an issue... Try not to beat yourself up about it, from what I read things like this happen to even very experienced breeders :happy: I hope things take a turn for the better!

aquaman

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think the problem is caused by feeding them white worms or from dropping small amounts of soil in there with the babies . How are you containing the baby axies ? Have you been doing any water changes ? Or do you use any type of filter ? a simple sponge filter well help keep the water clean and circulated.and also add oxygen.Adding some live plants like java moss will also help.

Linus

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss AxolotlFriend. I just found a great source for blackworms, I wouldn't mind shipping some to you regularly at all. Very cheap too. One of the best things you can offer your axies! Let me know.

Last edited:

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
I don't think the problem is caused by feeding them white worms or from dropping small amounts of soil in there with the babies . How are you containing the baby axies ? Have you been doing any water changes ? Or do you use any type of filter ? a simple sponge filter well help keep the water clean and circulated.and also add oxygen.Adding some live plants like java moss will also help.

yea it could be the soil. i like to think i have pretty good environment for my axies. i do water changes everyday and age my water for five days and use dechlorinator. like i said before. so there water should be pretty clean

Sorry for your loss AxolotlFriend. I just found a great source for blackworms, I wouldn't mind shipping some to you regularly at all. Very cheap too. One of the best things you can offer your axies! Let me know.

thanks man i appreciate it. right now i got the whole brine shrimp thing going. other than my pin head with only on eye who doesn't seem to grow, the rest seem to be doing better than ever. i may hit you up later on though.

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
i've had no deaths since switching to bbs. but today i lost my pin head with only one eye. i was very found of him so it kinda sucks, but i guess i was expecting it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1