Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red toes, veiny tail, and now white dots

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I use a penguin bio wheel filter. It has some carbon crystals within it. Also a little water agitation to provide oxygen. I use Prime dechlorinator for all my water changes.

I'm still waiting on those tea leaves, I really hope those help :)

Last edited:

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Got the Almond Tea leaves today, let's see if they help any :)

As promised some pictures of Aristotle and Albi from yesterday.

---

Sorry for so many, was trying to capture all the major marks.

The first 5 pictures are all Aristotle (the main reason for this thread) and the last picture is Albi, who has some quite red fingers on his right hand and some redness in his tail.

One unrelated question about Gill stalks: on the 5th photo notice those dark spots within Aristotle's gills? I've noticed them for awhile but didn't think much of it. Is this normal?

Many thanks,

Gazer

Attachments

• IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_1659.jpg
    IMG_1659.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,415
  • IMG_1660.jpg
    IMG_1660.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_1661.jpg
    IMG_1661.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 868
  • IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:

Coldnorthtoy

Reaction score
One unrelated question about Gill stalks: on the 5th photo notice those dark spots within Aristotle's gills? I've noticed them for awhile but didn't think much of it. Is this normal?

The Doctor has much blackiness on the gills, as well as fairly pronounced freckles; as far as I understand it, it's just a leucistic thing - they sometimes get some coloring in some spots. Or something. :p

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I figured as much, just thought I should voice the question while I was taking pictures. Thanks!

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that your going through something similar, Weo.

There hasn't been considerable progress since the last update, but I *believe* that the tail and toes are slightly less red then they were before.

Since there are no leads as to the cause I'll throw out another theory: possible rusting metal in the tank? I realized that the metal clips on my tank divider were beginning to rust just a tiny bit. I've since removed it from my tank (It was time for them to be together now anyways :D)

Other then that I'm being persistent with the almond tea leaves and hoping that eventually the remaining marks will go away.

At one point my guy had just as crimson fingers as yours, so if It's any solace eventually it will fade if this is the same ailment.

The toes are much better, but the tail is being stubborn.

Pictures of Aristotle taken recently:

Attachments

• Aristotlefeubary3.jpg
    Aristotlefeubary3.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,524
  • Aristotlefebuary1.jpg
    Aristotlefebuary1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 571
  • Aristotlefebuary2.jpg
    Aristotlefebuary2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:

weofui

Reaction score
Gazer,

I'm certainly not glad to have oddities with my little guy, but I am glad we're experiencing similar symptoms at roughly the same time - hopefully we'll be better able to sort it out having more than one "test subject". :)

In regard to the rust theory, there are no metal elements in Gir's tank and we have copper piping throughout the house. This doesn't eliminate rust as a possible culprit, of course, but it may lesson the concern a bit.

In the last 24 hours there has been dramatic improvement in Gir's condition - the stark redness is now isolated to a single toe and there's only a slight pink tinge to the other toes on the front feet and no noticeable discoloration on the back feet at all. The changes I've made in the last 48 hours are:

1. I've switched from using API Stress Coat Plus to API Tap Water Conditioner, which contains no Aloe Vera or other ingredients intended to replace slime coat or reduce stress.

2. I've completed two full water changes.

I notice that you're using Prime as your dechlorinator - could it be that the Aloe Vera is actually irritating them? I've read that some axies are super sensitive to even supposedly beneficial additives (though I can't for the life of me remember where). Might be worth a shot switching to a simple dechlorinator and seeing if there's any improvement.

Glad to hear Aristotle is doing better. :)

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Agreed, I'm glad to have someone in this ordeal alongside me :) Also great news that your already seeing improvement!

I don't believe Prime has aloe in it, or at least the kind I have. The bottle states "Removes Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia - Detoxifies Nitrite & Nitrate - Provides slime coat"

I wouldn't mind trying the API conditioner to see if that helps at all.

Keep me updated!

-Gazer

weofui

Reaction score
I checked into it a bit, and you're right that Prime doesn't have Aloe in it. Stress Coat has an ammonia binder in it, as does Prime, could that be it? Seems odd, but I'm fresh out of alternative theories.

Gir doesn't have a trace of redness at this point so, assuming it's a similar issue, I'd expect Aristotle to make a complete recovery as well. :)

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I'm buying some API Tapwater conditioner today w/ a water change, let's see if that helps with the remaining redness along Aristotle's body. Wish me luck!

KingCanon

Reaction score
I've discovered some red blotches on soskes tail is that similar? Was there a conclusion found? He keeps opening his mouth like he's got
Something stuck but he's on sand and wasn't fed that recently.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?awo1sx
Sent from the comfort of my throne room

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply! :)

The red markings are gone, or at the very least less noticeable.

My best guess is that switching my water conditioner was what did it. I was using prime and I switched to API Tap water conditioner. Perhaps my guys were allergic to an ingredient in prime?

I'm not entirely certain. But, I hope those who are dealing with similar issues find their solution. My advice is to change your water conditioner and if that doesn't help look into trying some tea leaves to soothe their skin.

Treagle

Reaction score
Hello

maybe this will be any help.

I've read somewhere axolotl become more reddish when laid eggs,
but I'm verry unsure .

Hope this might be any help

Treagle

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I like API much better than Prime. Prime has ammonia-fixing agents, which may interfere with cycling. API doesn't interfere with the cycle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1