Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sick Axolotl

Mortimer

Reaction score
i have had a simalar problem with my axy too! i have a leusistic male and a melanoid female in a 75g tank with a 7 inch pleco and i noticed one day he was trying to attach himself to the male. i figured he wasnt hungrey for the algea tabs anymore so i moved him to a diffrent tank and now the spot hasnt gone away or gotten any better. i put him in the fridge to help him heal and someone told me to put some chilled green tea in the water to help with the skin healing. any sugesstions so my little guy doesnt die from this?

He may not need to be fridged. I think having him in a separate tank with a little black tea (not green tea, from my understanding) would be helpful. You can do a search on here for tea baths to get more details.

majikninja

Reaction score
thanks! i did put him in a separate tank in the cooler part of the house and he seems alot happier. it looks like its starting to go away but time wil tell. i have some alo vera / dechlorinator that iv been using to condition there water along with leaving it to sit for at least 24 hours hopefully that will help to replace the slime coat while it heals!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!