Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl gone pale, gills laying back, floating??

oceanblue

Reaction score
74F is at the top of the temperature range: it will eat like mad and be very active. It really is too hot for the long term so try to get things cooler, otherwise ease off on changes, doing too much is disturbing!

layna

Reaction score
glad youve got the issue sorted and are trying to rectify it, the filter should help the cycle move along faster and the ice bottles will reduce the temp so he should be back to normal shortly :D

ectini

Reaction score
Hello again,

After 3 weeks I have a new issue I wanted to get some advice on :confused:
Kiwi got MUCH better after the addition of the filter, and using ice bottles. I moved his tank to the floor, so it is cooler. He is still in his 5gal as I am cycling the 10gal now and hope to move him in soon.

However, this past week starting last Sunday, I noticed his gills have gotten really curled forward and very red (total opposite problem from before). I read this is a sign of stress from flowing water, but the filter is not making a current. It has also been hotter than usual this week, but I've been doing my best to keep the tank between at least 62-68 F. Yet his gills are still curled forward for majority of the day (can he be in hunt mode all day?). His tail is not curled, he eats readily, pooping fine, and and not floating. I got a liquid test kit, ammo is .25ppm and nitrate/ite is 0. I did 25-50% water changes every day this week to keep ammo down.

Just wondering if I should be worried about the gill issue, or if this is "normal"?

Attachments

• photo(22).JPG
    photo(22).JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 960

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
He looks fine to me, honestly. His gills look about the same color as my axolotl's, and mine isn't stressed from anything. Yours does have some pretty long gills, so that's probably why they're curled like that. If he's eating and acting fine, you don't have anything to worry about.

ectini

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance :) I'll continue to monitor him and see how he does.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1