Aneides aeneus painting

J

john

As promised, here is a pic of my latest sal painting partially based upon pics from Mike Graziano. I'm not at all impressed at the quality of pictures I've been able to take of my paintings lately so I don't feel this captures the depth of the colors very well. But anyway, check it out. Comments/criticisms welcome:

47431.jpg

Hi John, I like it. Since you asked for some critiques, the main problem I see is that the head just doesn't look right. But it's good to see people still working on good herp art even in the age of cheap digital cameras. Sometimes good illustrations and paintings are far better at capturing the beauty of herps, especially in a natural setting, than photos. I particularly like herp paintings by David Dennis.

Hello John! As an artistic representation, this is a beautiful picture.

Mike, in my opinion, some people draw or paint but not always in a photorealistic way. Some japanese watercolour paintings of andrias and other salamanders look no way like the real thing proportionally. I'd like to think if this as a "romantic" or "poetic"view of the salamander. It sure made me smile and gaze upon it.

I encounter the same problems when photographing my art. I found that a simple photoprogram(adope photoshop is even better) can enhance(?) the colours and the contrast a bit.
I've taken the liberty of making an example with your painting.
(Somewhat like this)
47616.jpg

Micha, I have photoshop but i really don't know a whole lot on it yet. My preference is to avoid computer highlighting of my works if i can. But my lighting and camera are so poor that it is probably necessary to do some of that. The biggest thing I'm not satisfied with is the eyes. I'm definitely going to rework that area some. I had so much trouble with that rock that I just wanted to get this thing finished and over with, LOL.

I see what you mean with the eyes, the rock turned out very nice though. I especially like your use of colour.
Photographs hold more colour if you use natural light.(No flash light. flashlight tends to be too bright, depending on the distance and quality of the camera, and therefore it dulls all colours) Wait for a nice bright day and take the picture in daylight.
If you use photoshop try only to change the brightness and the contrast. This will give a very natural result.
But photographing art is an art in itself.
Goodluck!

(Message edited by cyanurus on November 15, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back