Refusing nightcrawlers?

sully

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Sully&Zeppelin
My 7.5 inch leucistic sully has recently started refusing night crawlers and only eats blood worms or sometimes pellets. i blanch them because neither or my axies like the wiggling. the water is 65f and all the water parameters are in the right range. is there a reason he would stop taking them? is he just being picky? or maybe something wrong with him? he looks normal no curled gills or tail. he is pooping regularly. any advice would be helpful

What are the exact parameters? How often do you regularly feed him and how often are you offering them to him? Does your lotl show any interest at all in it, or does it avoid it completely?

I haven't taken a test today yet and I did a water change yesterday. He gets night crawlers every other day with blood worms and pellets on the in between days. He used to love them and take the whole thing but the past few feelings he will take them and spit them out and then he stopped taking them entirely. He's still eating blood worms and pellets which he loves but the worms have better nutrition. Maybe if I try not blanching them?

I've never blanched worms, but I do rinse them in some tank water. They produce a lot of slime when disturbed, and I find my axies won't eat them if they're not rinsed. I put them in the water and feed them out when their movements slow down.

its funny he never used to take them if they werent blanched but i got him to take one last worm day that was crazy wiggly so we will keep on trying.

Cut them into smaller pieces then soak in water for 30mins - 1 hr. Sometimes I noticed they dont like when they are wiggling arouind

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back