Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New mom...new axie won't eat!

generalbutton

Reaction score
So I got a new axolotl recently, and it's been two days. I know that sometimes it takes a while for it to want to eat, but I think my problem is a little different. I currently have a 3.5 inch axie in a 10 gallon tank atm with hides and some fakes plants. I've been trying pellets, but I find it really hard to get the little guy to try and eat. Sometimes I manage to get it to snap if I drop the pellet from the top, but it usually misses and I have to try again. If I try by hand (tongs/baster) or with a worm, it goes off like a shot! I don't want it to starve :( I think I must just be doing it wrong. Any advice?!

Skudo09

Reaction score
It is not uncommon for axies not to eat when they are settling into a new home and sometimes it can take over a week for them to be settled enough to eat. Was the tank cycled before adding your axolotl? Have you tested the parameters? It is always good to rule out water quality issues. I am not sure what you mean with the works and going off like a shot?

I would not panic just yet. I would test the parameters and rule out water issues and if that is all ok, keep offering food and wait and see if he does eventually eat.

generalbutton

Reaction score
It is not uncommon for axies not to eat when they are settling into a new home and sometimes it can take over a week for them to be settled enough to eat. Was the tank cycled before adding your axolotl? Have you tested the parameters? It is always good to rule out water quality issues. I am not sure what you mean with the works and going off like a shot?

I would not panic just yet. I would test the parameters and rule out water issues and if that is all ok, keep offering food and wait and see if he does eventually eat.

Cycle is a go. The water parameters seem to be fine. Nitrite and ammonia are at 0, ph is a solid 7.4. Also I guess I wasn't very clear there, sorry! What I'm trying to say is that the axolotl snapped a couple times at things, which made me think it wants food, but I never succeed at making it eat any. When I mean goes off like a shot, it runs away as if afraid of the piece of worm I try to feed it. :confused: Maybe I'm just too paranoid at this stage. I keep watching it's gills to make sure it's alive when it's still LOL

I'll just keep waiting and hope for the best I guess :eek:

sully

Reaction score
axies tend to snap at anything in front of their face. my 3.5 little one i find wont even eat pellets. when he will take them he just spits them out immediately. he is also very jumpy with things around his face. i found the best way for me to feed him is to take the worm chunk and hand feed him. sometimes it works a little too well because he's gotten a hold of my finger a few times but the slower movement of my hand i guess calms him a little.

Icyriah

Reaction score
When they're young, they need the movement in order for them to understand it's food. Pellets don't work well for juveniles :) Try to find frozen bloodworms; they like those quite a bit!

generalbutton

Reaction score
When they're young, they need the movement in order for them to understand it's food. Pellets don't work well for juveniles :) Try to find frozen bloodworms; they like those quite a bit!

The breeder raised them on pellets I believe, but you may be right about that. I'll try that and see if it works.

generalbutton

Reaction score
axies tend to snap at anything in front of their face. my 3.5 little one i find wont even eat pellets. when he will take them he just spits them out immediately. he is also very jumpy with things around his face. i found the best way for me to feed him is to take the worm chunk and hand feed him. sometimes it works a little too well because he's gotten a hold of my finger a few times but the slower movement of my hand i guess calms him a little.

I tried letting a worm wiggle in front of it, but it didn't react at all. Do you think it's just not hungry yet then? I feel like I'm worrying too obsessively.

Fadwa

Reaction score
Have you solved this problem yet and how? I'd like to know in the case that I have a juvenile axolotl and have a similar problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!