"Parasite" or bacterial infection?

Lexolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lex
Hello all,

I regularly post on an axolotl group, and a fellow member has been sending me updates of her axolotl after I suggested she take her lotl to the vet. She is located in Perth, Australia. While at the vet, they did an x-ray, "skin scrape", and asked her for fecal samples.

Through all of the testing, they are still unsure of what is causing her lotl to be sick. So here I am, seeking more opinions on what it could possibly be.

It started off with her posting the first uploaded picture of her lotl, which made me think there was a bacterial infection. She told me that her vet took blood samples and that he ruled out any signs of infection.

After taking her lotl to the vet for what I assume was a fecal float, he sent her an email with the second picture of what was found. He said, again, that he wasn't sure what was going on and even sent the photos off to someone else to ask for an opinion and that person wasn't sure either.

She said that he seemed irritated, so for now I suggested putting an almond leaf with him to help soothe his skin.
I did let her know that the copepod wasn't anything to worry about.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,036
  • IMG_1517.JPG
    IMG_1517.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 481
Hmmm... If bacterial infection is ruled out I would lean towards parasites but there may be other things going on. What is the axolotls diet and water parameters?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back