Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weight Lose

H

hayley

I have had my female axolotl for around 3 years, and for the past few months she has been skinny. She isn't losing weight any more(or it doesn't appear she is..I'll have to get a set of scales to weigh her), but she is skinny and boney from when she lost weight a few months ago. I first noticed the weight lose when she had a tank buddy, but she killed him
uhoh.gif
(his head was hanging out of her mouth..I got her to drop him but he was dead and missing part of his tail end). Could this have anything to do with it? She has the same diet she always has had- frozen blood worms.

J

jennifer

Eating her buddy probably didn't cause the weight loss. But it may indicate that she wasn't getting enough to eat, or that her diet was incomplete.

The weight loss may have been caused by the higher temperature over the summer. When warm, metabolic rate goes up, and axies need to eat more. I would recommend adding some richer foods to her diet, particularly earthworms. A skinny axolotl is not a good thing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1