My axie has albino axie has turned pink

C

chris

Hey all axie lovers
My albino axie has turned a shade of pink? Is this a sign of anything?
46487.jpg

That looks like normal colouration to me. Leucistic axolotls can 'change' their colour a bit from very pale to reddish pink. I suppose it's a bit like blushing. Axle sometimes even looks an angry purple colour, depending on his mood!

Chris - white axolotls can also turn red if they are over heated so keeping an eye on the temperature is a good idea.

Also your axolotl isn't albino, it is as Laura mentioned leucistic. You can read info on color genetics at
http://axolotl.org/genetics.htm

Pinkish tint to the color can be an indication of disease. That axolotls' gills look a little funky like it might be stressed, Keep an eye on water temp and quality. If it starts to look worse it might need medicated.

I have two axolotls, that are normally a healthy white color, but lately have been looking a little red. I read the health page, but its kind of hard to tell if the red is patchy or not. I just bought a heater for my tank, cause its been getting really, really cold here. I don't know if thats it or the feeder fish a bought a while ago. I'm really worried. I put them in a new tank with some medicine that worked last time they got sick. But when I went to transfer one of them to a salt bath by hand, some of her skin came off. Is that a really bad sign??? I don't know what to think. Please help!

You don't need a heater at all. This could definately be causing it. Axolotls are much more comfortable at lower temperatures (mid 60F's are fantastic!) than humans. Feeder fish are also bad.

Take out the heater, and switch to a diet of earthworms instead of feeder fish and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I'd try the salt baths.

Corinna - What is "really really cold"? Axolotls can not tolerate heat. Unless your tank is close to forming ice on it, chances are you do not need a heater.

What is the temperature of your tank?

What is the name of the medication you were using and what kind of illness did your axolotls have that prompted you use it?

The skin coming off is definitely not a good sign. I would suggest you do not pick them up by hand but use a very soft net(large) or use a food safe plastic or glass container to move them to the salt bath.

Well outside its been in the low 30s F, so the water is probably in the 50s. The heater hasn't been very high, its been used to keep the temp between 65 and 70.

The medicine I used is called Maroxy, it fights fungal infections, which is what they had last time. The pet store recommended it by people who have worked with axolotls before.

Hi Corinna,

From what I've heard u need to be really careful about what medicines you add to the tank as alot of the so called "safe" medicines can be harmful to axies.
I recommend you check the caudata website..maybe a moderator could give you the link to check whether or not this could be harmful.
Otherwise, I've been told Pimafix is okay, but generally it is suggested to use salt baths as this is the safest way to go. 1teaspoon of salt to 2 Litres I think?

Joan or a moderator should be able to clarify this for you.

Cynthia's better at that medication stuff. Knock on wood, I've never had to medicate my axolotls.

Corinna - There is a list of safe and not safe medications http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm
its at the very bottom of that page.

Maroxy is not on that list, so I do not know if it is safe for axolotls. I have used Maroxy on fish in the past and it did not work well on the fish I was treating.

For axolotls with fungus salt baths are safer and usually effective. You mix 2 teaspoons of salt in 2 liters of water and soak the axolotl for 10 - 12 min. Time the bath so it doesn't soak too long as salt can damage the skin and gills.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back