Paddle Tail Newt shedding

satinbaby

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi all just a quick question im new on here i put a post in the Axolotl chat please see
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57910

For all the info!! Basically i obtained a Paddle Tail Newt and love him!!!!

Just a quick question i know they shed but what does it look like???

Is it like a white/clear cant describe it looks like smoke???

If not whats my newt up to???

I think it was shedding? But i thought it was rare to see?

Cheers

Satin xxxx

My paddle tails have been shedding a lot lately. Their shed skin doesn't last long, they seem to like to gobble it up quick! The shed looks just like clear mucus if that helps.

I think "smoke" is a good way to describe a shed. I've never seen my Paddletails shed, but I've seen many of my other species' sheds many times.

Yes clear mucus is a way to describe it yes it lasted not long at all!!

Wicked very cleaver creature!! xxxx
Thanks Guys

Love Satin xx

Now see, that's weird...my guys never eat their shed. I always find it and end up taking it out of the tank days later.

Are they Paddle Tail Newts Nicole??

How may do you have?

I love our Niddy hes so cute!!

xx

Yep, 3 of them. One female and 2 males.

mine dont eat thier sheds either , i have three females, i did have a male ... god knows how but he got out of the viv lid, totally closed with a glass section, and small rocks weighing it down, thats a big newt to get out of the tiny gaps ...unfortunately , they dessicate much more quickly than most other "pet" newts. i love these newts ,

Hi Spoons yes Niddy is a little naughty boy/girl!!

Sleeps in the filter!!

Talking of he/she how do you sex them??

I have a feeling Niddy is a boy between his back legs he has a small lump with tiny tiny purple hairs / spikes coming from it!!

There is no white dot on his tail though???

xx

Hi,
if you post a picture of him/her it would be much easier to sex them, however a good indicator is if the lump (its cloaca) is between its legs and not nearer its tail. Also as you rightly pointed out, they may form hair-like projections (known as papiliae) from the cloaca. This usually comes about when the male becomes excited, possibly by a female in the area. Only mature males will form a white spot on their tails. Hope that helps!

Blackhawk

hi satin
sounds like niddy is a boy indeed ! i wouldnt get your hopes up for breeding them though , paddletails are hard to breed , ive had mine years and had no joy . lots of tailfanning ....no results
they are cool little fellas though , enjoy !:happy:

Last edited:
Hi everyone Thanks for the sexing info!! He is alone i dont have any others and wont be getting anymore he is enough for me xx Been waiting for my tank to mature for the past few days before introducing Niddy it has mature water in it before and i put a couple of goldfish to speed it up but unfortunatly there has been a problem as suspected.....

Niddy has hurt my Albino Axolotl on her/his front leg so i have promptly moved him to this new tank after obviously removing the goldfish first ....

I just hope the water is mature enough does anyone have any tips on settling him the best way to not stress him?

Also is there anything i should be aware of with the Albino Axolotl he has kind of took the skin off her/his front right leg and the leg seems to be just hanging on

Will the other Axolotl Socks bother it??? They have seperate feeding areas.

A QUICK MESSAGE TO ANYONE AS WELL WHO CONSIDERS MOVING SOMETHING ELSE IN WITH THEIR AXOLOTLS DONT !!! Its such a shame i was wrongly sold these two together.

It makes me wonder how many others do this.???

Any advice greatly appriciated xx

Love Satin xx

It's fairly common for paddle tails to remove limbs for other tank inhabits, especially during feeding. Sorry to hear your Axolotl took a hit, hopefully the limb will recover.

A QUICK MESSAGE TO ANYONE AS WELL WHO CONSIDERS MOVING SOMETHING ELSE IN WITH THEIR AXOLOTLS DONT !!! Its such a shame i was wrongly sold these two together.

It makes me wonder how many others do this.???

I've been compiling these kinds of "incidents" for years, but I expect they will continue forever.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml
The only people with a chance of preventing these things from happening would be pet shop employees, but they clearly aren't reading! They are too busy selling animals they know little about.

If your two axies have a tank with plenty of hides, they'll probably be OK, but watch for any signs of problems. Keep the tank as cold as possible. Limb injuries will often heal and regenerate on their own, as long as the animal was in healthy condition to begin with. If the leg is severed, it may be better to cut it off, but help from a vet is recommended for that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back