Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

video of Cynops pyrrhogaster shedding skin

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the great video. It is always good to have a visual account of it.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
That was fascinating to watch thank you. I've never seen an amphibian (or any animal) shed before.

A couple of questions if it's OK to post here......

Do all amphibian shed?
Do they shed because they are growing or just something they do regularly to keep their skin in good condition?
Please excuse my ignorance on such matters.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Do all amphibian shed?
Do they shed because they are growing or just something they do regularly to keep their skin in good condition?

All amphibians shed. I would assume they do it for both the reasons you listed, although I've never really bothered asking.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Not all....neotenic species and individuals shouldn´t shed.
Shedding is something that appears during or inmediately after metamorphosis.

They do shed to accomodate their skin to their growing bodies, but it´s also used as a mechanism of defense against skin infections, to help heal superficial wounds, etc.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
All of them?
I was under the impression that pure Ambystoma mexicanum didn´t normally shed. Shedding doesn´t occur in larval caudates, and since neoteny means retention of larval characteristics i assumed there was no shedding. I think i recall reading somewhere a long time ago that only "hybrid" axolotls shed.
Anyway i don´t keep the species, so if i´m wrong, thanks for correcting me Justin.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Seems i was utterly wrong. As i said i "learnt" about this a very long time ago..when my english was substantially worse and i must have misunderstood the information(plus there is a lot of inaccurate information around the internet) .
Larval caudates(and all larval amphibians for that matter) don´t shed, but post-larval animals, neotenic or not, shed. There are differences in the skin characteristics between neotenics/the rest though(obviously) and i think that´s what confused me.
Thanx Justin, i would have been mistaken about this for even longer.

PS: sorry for the flawed information Kerry.

nora

Reaction score
I've never seen this before. It was fascinating.Thank you. I felt a little itchy while watching it.:lol:

AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Great video, thanks for posting. It was interesting to see him eat it at the end. I have newts eat their shed in the water but never on land.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1