Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Aquatic newts developing enlarged lips

Rupert

Reaction score
My colleague pointed out that, while he was observing his Triturus Carnifax,

the aquatic newts tended to have a thicker and more pronounced lips(nasolabia?).

I've tried searching for studies related to the difference - with no luck.

We came up with a few hypotheses such as :

1) To help it with feeding via assisting in holding onto prey as they suction-feed in water

2) Sexual/breeding related change, assisting in courtship

3) Secondary sensory organ

4) Secondary respiratory organ

Now, if anyone could illuminate us to the purpose and the significance of enlarged lips

of aquatic newts (we saw this in Triturus and Cynops Pyrrohgaster), it would be very

much appreciated.

And no, this is not about bloating/sick newts. There is nothing out of the ordinary except

a more pronounced lip feature in aquatic forms compared to the terrestrial form.

Any information/pointers in the right source would be very much appreciated.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Have any pictures? Seems really interesting. If it's just the males, it could be the mental gland, even though I think it's just for lungless salamanders....

Rupert

Reaction score

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its to help them catch things underwater. They get as close as they can to the food then suddenly snap their mouth open, this creates a vacuum that drags the pray rapidly into the newts mouth. The droopy upper lip means the vacuum effect lasts longer before the mouth is fully open and the pressure equalises.

There are some pictures in this thread about Ommatotriton.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...proctus/83100-banded-newt-drooping-jowls.html

Rupert

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its to help them catch things underwater. They get as close as they can to the food then suddenly snap their mouth open, this creates a vacuum that drags the pray rapidly into the newts mouth. The droopy upper lip means the vacuum effect lasts longer before the mouth is fully open and the pressure equalises.

There are some pictures in this thread about Ommatotriton.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...proctus/83100-banded-newt-drooping-jowls.html

Yep, Chinadog nailed it. That is exactly what it is for :)

Thanks everyone, I knew I could count on the org! :grin:

Rupert

Reaction score
Update : Seems this happens to most newts during their aquatic stage.

e0119439_119326.jpg

Does anyone know what literature that picture is from? I just found the screenshot online,
and the site does not site any source other than "an amphibian essay"...

I'm guessing it could be Marc Staniszewski's work but if anyone has information about the source please let me know - I'd like to read the whole thing;)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a copy of 'Amphibians in captivity' by Mark Staiszewski, its not from there. It looks like a pretty good book though, and it must be fairly recentish to have much detail on Neurergus species. I would guess its from 'Threatened newts and salamanders. Guidelines for conservation and breeding' Schulshnik/Gross, Its on my wanted list, but I don't have a copy yet.

Rupert

Reaction score
I have a copy of 'Amphibians in captivity' by Mark Staiszewski, its not from there. It looks like a pretty good book though, and it must be fairly recentish to have much detail on Neurergus species. I would guess its from 'Threatened newts and salamanders. Guidelines for conservation and breeding' Schulshnik/Gross, Its on my wanted list, but I don't have a copy yet.

Thanks much, this goes on my list this fall :cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!