What is the easiest/cheapest method to a successful brine shrimp hatchery?

There are many great threads about brine shrimp hatching on this site. I recommend you do a search on the subject.

Inverted 2 liter drink bottles are my preferred method. The poor mans hatching cones. Its easier to aerate, clean, setup new batches and collect the shrimp while leaving the hatched capsules behind. I can post some pics of my setup if youre interested. I'd recommend doing some homework though. The more info you have the better chances of success.

Cheers

I prefer the 2 liter soda bottle hatchery. The real trick is being certain to have good quality eggs that have been kept properly. Often cysts you get at a pet store are not in good shape.

I just mixed 11/2 tbs of aquarium salt to a half gallon water. Took about 8 cups of my salt water pinch of baking soda less than 1/4 tsp of bbs . Put in a 8x6 plastic container sturd it up. Put by window no light bulb or air pump. There hatching as i write it is slow. It has been 24 hours about 25% of the eggs hatched so far. It has been snowing here so not much sun. Plus its about 65 f 18 c by the window . Cant get to much cheaper no pump no light no electricity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back