Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Potential US breeding

coolkraitcalvin

Reaction score
I have a lone male P. labiatus that I would like to make use of. Being that paddletail newts are no longer being imported to the US, we need to make use of all of the newts we have here. I am wondering if anyone in the US with female labiatus would like to do a breeding project. I'd hate to see this specie leave the US hobby.

Thanks for reading!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck, Pachytriton are a species that very few people have bred, fewer still have raised the babies. As you say it would be a shame for them to vanish from the hobby as they are interesting pets when kept properly.
Their life cycle in the wild is still largely a mystery though. My friend Zhang and I made this thread, it has some very rare pics of terrestrial juvenile and even adult paddletails in terrestrial mode.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...8963-mysterious-life-history-paddletails.html

Last edited:

mchivett

Reaction score
Hi friend, I also have a male p. Labiatus that I would be eager to try to breed given the opportunity. Its such a beautiful newt, I'd hate to see it remain unavailable in the US.

EthanHS420

Reaction score
Hey all,

I do not normally post on here, but I do frequently visit the site. I have one male P. labiatus and one female P. labiatus. I would like to breed them knowing that they are no longer getting imported to the United States. I have had my male for 11 years and my female for 5 years. They have always been housed together and despite my male fanning his tail at the female there has not been any further steps in the reproduction cycle.

I would really like to keep this species in the pet trade. I have read the breeding section in the species section, but could anybody point me to some people who may have had some success or give me any advice.

Thank you

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!