Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Starting with axolotls need some extra info.

YaBoiToon

Reaction score
Hello,

I am verry intrested in keeping a axolotl i did plenty of research and am stil to add to my knoledge to keep the animal in a good spot.

So what i know already and then i wil tell you what info please correct me and give me extra info i might miss a few things on accident.

1 adult axolotl can be kept in a 10 gallon tank but ofc bigger is always better 20 gallon would be great.

they love earthworms,bloodworms,etc pellets are also a decent option.

no gravel nothing smaller then their head unless its a good fine sand.

don't panick to quick on desease as it might be nothing.

2 hides.

sponge filters seem to be a great option.

there is probably a lot i miss that i do know but now for the help.

Can i get a axolotl and put it in a 13 gallon tank with a sponge filter cycled and conditioned with play sand as bottom and 2 hides non plastic.

i have the one week at my mom then my dad but i can enter the home where my axolotl is any time so i couldn't convice my stehpmom to feed it worms so i bought pellets with proteins and bloodworms wich they can feed i wil do weekly water changes and when i at that place for the week give it the proper diet it needs.

so my biggest concerns wil be...

Can it live on pellets a week? if not i can always jump in and feed it bloodworms or earthworms i wil probably fully record the axolotl's feeding habits.

Is a 13 gallon going to be fine for the one axoltl i know it can't have any tank mates unless its themself but then the tank would need to be bigger.

so thanks in advance sorry if i submitted this thread in the wrong place.

link to filter i am considering to take : https://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquarium-Biochemical-Sponge-Filter/dp/B0089KVC32/

have a nice day and thanks for the help :D .

Reaction score
Your tank size should be fine for one axie. 20 gallons would be ideal, but 13 works :) I have 3 axolotls, and all of them eat pellets. Feeding yours pellets for a week will not effect your axies in any way unless it has been brought up on live food and will not accept anything else. I reccomend my filter - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H...r+aquarium&dpPl=1&dpID=41MfZS4BPOL&ref=plSrch
although you do have to buy an air pump and airline tubing to go with it :) I'm sure your filter would be great though :) I can't give you much more info then that, since I am new to axolotls myself, but based on everything you said I think your good to go!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Great that you're gathering information to make the best home for an axolotl!
10 gallon is the minimum for one axolotl, so 13 is fine. Bigger is always better but it will be okay in 13 gallons.
I feed mine mainly nightcrawlers, but he loves pellets and frozen food so he gets them sometimes as well. It will be fine on pellets for a week, as long as they eat them. Drop it in front of its face and it should eat it (and use a turkey baster to remove uneaten).
A sponge filter is perfect, make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding your axolotl. Play sand is also the preferred substrate (other than bare bottom, which is also fine), just make sure you wash it as it can cloud the water.
2 hides are ideal so it can have choice :)
For diseases/sickness, keep an eye on the gills and the slime coat as they can show the first signs of issues.
Good luck!

lizzymoo

Reaction score
Looks like you've covered most of the important stuff!

With the tank size, long is better than tall if you have a choice, regardless of volume.

Also you probably know this, but your post doesn't mention water temperature/keeping the water cool. Happy to provide info on this if you need it!

Biev

Reaction score
Bloodworms are a treat, whereas pellets and earthworms are good staples. If your axolotls accept the pellets, it's fine to feed them those, otherwise they could have bloodworms while you're away, so long as you resume feeding them something healthier when you get back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!