Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pseudacris crucifer (Spring Peeper) Releasing young frogs

David339

Reaction score
I raised some frog eggs I found in the ditch at the house. They have for the last 2 weeks been changing to frogs. I currently have about 29 baby frogs. I intend to release them back into the wild. Is it too close to winter to release them? How much time do these guys need to be prepared for winter? Obviously I cant keep all of these. I still have about 110 tadpoles to go. I had more originally(somewhere around 180-200) but I was feeding some as treats for my eastern painted turtles.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
WHen I had frogs like that I just released them right next to a nearby pond. If they took this long to morph, maybe that's how long they would have taken in the wild?

David339

Reaction score
I was more concerned for them to have some time before winter sets in. I still have 104 tadpoles that are not morphed yet. I'm more worried about the ones who have yet to become frogs and them having time to be prepared to hibernate. I don't really want to let them go just to die off. When would be to late to let them go?

salvoz

Reaction score
I would release them where you obtained them and not wait any longer. I doubt anyone here can tell you with certainty how long they need to prepare for winter and unless you can care and provide for that many frogs over the winter I think they'd have a much better chance fending for themselves.

David339

Reaction score
I'm giving them a little boost on springtails and fruit flies before letting them go. 30 baby frogs are released. 6 more already turned since. It's supposed to be high in the 80's for the next 2 weeks so they should have some time. They are native and going back to where they began. I raised them from eggs to be feeders for painted turtles. The eggs were in a drying ditch, there usually isn't much water in it except a couple months ago when we had a lot of rain. I didn't realize how many eggs I had nor how many would hatch. Only a very few died when they were squiggles or didn't hatch. The kids sure enjoyed watching them grow up. Once they started turning into little frogs I felt bad about using them as feeders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1