Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Beware the Catfish!

mweaver_87

Reaction score
Beware! I found my Paddletail like this earlier today. After 30 minutes of prying I managed to get the fish out with no severe injuries. Below you can see a barb actually poking through.

pets058.jpg

rigsby

Reaction score
which is why the only tank mate for a newt should be a newt of the same type and even then with paddletails thats not always a good idea...also if the catfish was a tropical fish (i can't tell by the tail) then the temp required for the catfish would be too high for the newt...most catfish have spines and some grow to a fair old size with big mouths and can swallow large prey so you have to be careful what you house them with or one day it could be the catfish eating the newt......ian

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sushi anyone?

Wow, that looks nasty! A perfect example of what can go wrong when you mix fish with newts. With luck you'll have made someone think twice - I'm always amazed at the keepers who even after reading the mixing disaters page still think it's worth the risk. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad your newt came out reasonably unscathed (although the fish probably didn't fair so well).

mweaver_87

Reaction score
catfish

This has certainly been a learning lesson for me. I havn't even had this newt for a month, and am new to keeping this species. She's doing fine today thankfully.

The catfish was a baby bullhead (from my best guess) and no, he didn't fare well at all. He was dead by the time I realized what had happened.

It took me about 30 minutes to get the fish out, I cut the body off and managed to get the head out but the barbs still remained. Using a pair of tweezers I managed to push back on the barbs and get them out.

I just wanted to post and let everyone see what species mixing can result in.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that's awful, but thank you for posting the photo.

Maria, may I use your photo on the Species Mixing page of Caudata Culture? It's a good warning to others.

Turtlestork

Reaction score
Hey. Yeah, I must not have looked very hard at the pic on TT. That is worse than I thought I saw at first! He should be fine, though, they have great regenerative abilities.

TS(from TT)

mweaver_87

Reaction score
Wow, that's awful, but thank you for posting the photo.

Maria, may I use your photo on the Species Mixing page of Caudata Culture? It's a good warning to others.

Yes, of course you may. That is why I posted, to warn others.

And hello Turtlestork, small internet eh? :)

Just a update, the newt is doing fine no major problems so far.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Another anecdote but of no relevance to newts. I had this happen when I had a fancy goldfish (large Red Oranda) in a tank with a Corydoras cat (it was adult size). I really liked both fish. Came to the tank one day and there is the goldfish with a tail sticking out of his mouth and impaled in 3 places from the dorsal and pectoral fins. I had to get out some surgical scissors, grab the goldfish and then go inside its mouth and cut the Catfish's fins with the scissors, so at least one of the two would survive. I had had both fish for many years and it was rough on the catfish but what can you do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1