Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt transport

H

heather

Hi everyone. I'm in college and I've decided that a newt would be a good pet for my situation here. However, I will be driving home (a 3-4 hour trip) for the holidays. I'm getting a small tank comfortable for one newt and can easily be carried. Will my newt be safe on these trips given that it is not removed from its habitat? Are there any precautionary steps I can take to minimize stress for my newt?
Thanks!!!
Heather

J

jeff

As long as you keep the tank cool (in general, less than 75) you should be alright, especially since it's only for the holidays.

J

jeff

As long as the newt isn't housed with large rocks that could shift I would assume it would be fine. Allthough if you use gravel it will get stirred up whenever you move the tank and will then need to be cleaned/water changed.

J

jennifer

How long is the holiday break? If it's less than 2 weeks, you could probably leave the newt. They can easily go that long without eating.

Regarding transport, I really think it would be less stressful to put the newt in a dark container with damp paper toweling. Sloshing it around in a tank of water isn't going to be as good, in my opinion.

C

carly

I have two newts at university with me, and I take them home for xmas and the summer. I always take out the rocks and accessories and just leave the gravel and about 1/2 an inch of water in one area, and push the gravel into a mound in another area. Seems to work for them. They're good travelers.

ali

Reaction score
I also have newts in college. I put them in a small critter keeper with really wet paper towels. This keeps them as wet as they would like to be, but this way the water sloshing doesn't stress them out. They like calmer waters and may think they are in danger if the water is going crazy. Gravel is also not a good idea. just fold up some paper towels and use water from their tank to make them wet. Be sure to not let them get too hot!

A

alison

Last year I was in a similar predicament with my paddle tail newt. I did leave him home alone over the two and a half weeks that I was gone for the holidays. The temperature in my apartment was turned down, and I fed him well before I left. When I got back he was just fine, and hadn't even lost any weight! If I were you, I would leave him in his home if you can. Traveling could be stressful for him, and nobody wants a stressed newt.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1