Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moving house need advice on what to transport my axis in.

lisalee2

Reaction score
Could some one help me. My self and my partner are moving this weekend 30 miles away from where we are living at the min and just wondering how should i transport my axis i have 4 adult axis one grown up juvi and 2 babies, i thought i could put the juvi and the babies in the fish bags but dont know what to put the adults in. I want to make it as stress free as possible for them as they will have to be in bags or what ever for a couple of hours as we need to set up there tanks in our new house and transfer nealy all there old water across, any sugestions would be gud. Also while im on this subject we want to keep nealy all the water that there in it saves on cycling the tank again do i just put the water in loads of fish bags if so ill need lots of bags as we have a 4ft,3ft and a 1ft tank is there a easer way to transport water with out spiling it all. Thanks. Lisa.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Lisa,

You can use any kind of container with a tightly sealing lid to transport them. DYI shops often have unused paint buckets that you can use, or a large Tupperware box will do, etc. Just make sure it's been well rinsed first, of course.

The bacteria are mainly on the decorations, in the filter, in the sand, etc., so that you do not necessarily have to transport all of that water. You could use enough water to cover the deco, sand, filter, etc., and refill with fresh once you get to the new house.

There are several links on moving; here are a couple to get you started:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56760&highlight=moving
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56900&highlight=moving
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54598

Have fun with the move. ;)

-Eva

lisalee2

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply blueberlin hope they will be ok traveling 30 miles, could i put two axis in a large deep tub or will they fight how much water do i put in the tubs aswell.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply blueberlin hope they will be ok traveling 30 miles, could i put two axis in a large deep tub or will they fight how much water do i put in the tubs aswell.

If pushed for containers, you can put them both in the one container.

Fill the container as much as you can to prevent the axies being sloshed around and ensure lid is securely fastened.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
If I had to move my axolotls any sort of distance then I personnally would get a largish bucket and pop a black bin liner into it. Then syphon off enough tank water to fill the bin liner to about halfway.

The axolotls will have plenty of room and the liner helps keeps things dark, cool and hopefully reduces stress on the axolotls.
A plastic/metal bucket also gives them some protection if anything should knock against them whilst moving.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1