Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping Lumbricus terrestris fresh

Molch

Reaction score
I got some L. terrestris from Wards. I know they are not easy to culture, but I would at least like to keep them alive long enough to feed them off. I have 100 big worms; it might take up to 2 months to feed them all.

Any suggestions? I have a cold storage room, where it's about 50 degrees. Or should they be in the fridge?

Molch

Reaction score
also, these guys, though alive, look a bit floppy - is that normal or should they be more "muscular"?

sergé

Reaction score
Sepearate al the dead, half ones or barely live ones from the good ones. The good ones you can put in a small plastic bucket with some soil and some fallen leaves (with a lid of course and small holes) in the fridge. You can then keep them for weeks without problems. Just make sure the soil stays moist but not wet!

Half ones (so the ones that have wounds or that are cut in two) you have to feed as soon as possible. If they are floppy place them in water and see if they recover (then they start moving qwuickly). If they won't move you can try to feed them to your newts asap or else thorugh them away.

If you leave dead worms with the good ones they will all die soon and the whole bucket becomes a smelly business..

Molch

Reaction score
thanks Serge - I distributed them over about 5 boxes and sorted out the floppy-looking ones. They are at 10 C or 50 F - I hope that's cool enough.

I might have to eat some too to help my newts get through all these - I'm afraid I ordered waay too many!

Molch

Reaction score
to give an update -

I keep them in ordinary potting soil in styrofoam boxes in my dark cold storage room where temps range from 45-55 degrees. They seem to be doing ok. I do find an occasional dead one and take it out immediately (I look through each box every other day or so). I fed them a bit by sprinkling a mix of flour, dried milk and parmesan cheese, but wowsa, that stuff started growing huge amounts of mold immediately so I took it out again. I think the coarse potting soild may have enough food in it as is.

I hope this setup will keep them fresh until I fed them off - I still have at least 50, so that'll take another month at least!

Molch

Reaction score
I should add: everything I've read recommends strongly to have a well-closing lid,
but frankly, my worms show no intention whatsoever to leave their soil at the bottom of the container. I hardly ever see them on the surface even. Nobody has attempted to wander off yet.

to be sure though - I DO have a lid ;)

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you put some decaying leaves (they need to be wet and rotting rather than just dead and dry) on the surface, the worms will come up in the dark and feed on the rotting material. They will last a lot longer and be much healthier if they have something to feed on. You can mix goldfish flakes in with the leaves and the worms usually feed on the flakes, too. This might improve their nutritional value if they are fed out shortly after eating the flakes.

C

Opacum

Reaction score
And if you are keeping them in dirt you can also put them in oatmeal the night before you feed them as this cleans the dirt out from inside them. Yep, even fiber works in 'worm-world'... ;)

caleb

Reaction score
I've scanned the chapter on earthworm rearing from an old UFAW handbook, for anyone interested:

http://www.urodela.co.uk/triturus/temp/UFAW/earthworm1.gif
http://www.urodela.co.uk/triturus/temp/UFAW/earthworm2.gif
http://www.urodela.co.uk/triturus/temp/UFAW/earthworm3.gif
http://www.urodela.co.uk/triturus/temp/UFAW/earthworm4.gif
http://www.urodela.co.uk/triturus/temp/UFAW/earthworm5.gif

They recommend using thick wooden boxes (with drainage holes) filled with soil, and feeding with manure. They suggest that a lid is not needed as long as they're not overcrowded, and that large worms will need 145cc of soil each; about half that for smaller one.

This book also has chapters on lab rearing of various amphibians, but it's interesting mainly as a historical curiosity...

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
Hi i successfully keep worms for my Axolotls to feed as and when needed.

The best way I have found of keeping them healthy and lively is to dig a nice chunk of soil preferably with worms inside or if not making sure it is from a chemical free area, clean patch of garden. I dig with some grass on top but not necessary. Placing the whole lot into one of the medium sized plastic fish/amphibian tanks you can by with a lid which already has holes in but fits tightly.

I find other than what they find to eat in the soil is to cook a jacket potato in its skin allow to cool and cut in half and lay it on top of the soil. The worms will feed quite happy on this and when you wish to scource if you flip the potato over usually the worms will be underneath. A very important thing is to lightly spray the soil top once a day so that everything does not dry out too much.

bmp1976

Reaction score
L. Terrestris are not hard to keep as many people think...in fact they are easier than red wigglers. I keep mine in cardboard/paper/sand at room temp. in a plastic bin. I live in Florida the bin stays inside. Keep them moist and fed. My worms reproduce like crazy and I have tons of babys all the time.

Molch

Reaction score
L. Terrestris are not hard to keep as many people think...in fact they are easier than red wigglers. I keep mine in cardboard/paper/sand at room temp. in a plastic bin. I live in Florida the bin stays inside. Keep them moist and fed. My worms reproduce like crazy and I have tons of babys all the time.

Hmm..are you sure you have L. terrestris? At room temp, mine would surely die. What do you feed them with?

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I agree with Molch. I am sure they are not Lumbricus terrestris, but may be Dendrobaena sp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1