Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dead spots in tank. Need a different filter?

jakejurg

Reaction score
I've got a 38 gallon tank with an AquaClear 50 filter, and I've had a cyanobacteria outbreak from what I'm assuming is inadequate water circulation. I recently ordered an air pump to help increase oxygenation of the water so I don't have this problem, but I think that along with my current filter, it'll create too much noise in the room.

I'm thinking of getting the EHEIM 2213, and returning the filter + air pump. Does anyone have any information regarding how well this canister filter circulates the water? Also, has anyone had success with treating BGA/cyanobacteria? I think the outbreak might also be due to the water at my new place, as I just moved. I may start filtering the water before I add it to my tank.

I can't wait to get some axolotls, but I want to make sure that their living quarters are perfect for them beforehand :)

iChris

Reaction score
bga/cyanobacteria as in green algae?

if this is the case, it's not always a filtration problem. is your tank getting too much natural light? also excess nutrients in the water can cause a bloom.

dead spots in a tank will usually give you a rotten egg/gassy smell and a well cycled tank should smell like a damp or freshly watered garden bed or a earthy smell and never give off any offensive smells either. the way the tank smells is always a good indicator if you think your having issues with water circulation.

mackinthebox

Reaction score
if youre referring to the green algae that floats in the water the only way to eliminate it is to reduce light exposure and do large water changes until it clears
a UV filter might help as well
cyanobacteria is usually a green carpet of slimy algae, at least in my experience and as Chris said it feeds off dissolved waste
an aquaclear 50 is more than enough for a 38 gallon tank

can you describe the cyanobacteria and how you know youre having an outbreak? you may have misdiagnosed or we may be misunderstanding

jakejurg

Reaction score
I guess I think that what I've been experiencing is blue-green algae, because it really is blue-green in color. I am pretty new at this hobby, so I may just be jumping to the worst possible thing. It is a planted tank with 3 otos in it, and the algae started covering parts of my plants, and was covering about 2/3 of the total surface of my sand before I cleaned the tank a few days ago. Also, it doesn't float, just covers the stuff it comes in contact with. Since then, I rigged up a longer intake tube for my filter so it reaches closer to the sand, and the algae(?) has come back in about 6 small spots that are about the size of a quarter.

Also, it doesn't get any natural light, but it is getting about 6 hours a day from a couple 6500k grow bulbs, so i'll cut that time down. The smell has changed a bit but it doesn't smell bad, so the circulation must be fine. I brought a sample of water to petsmart, and they said that my levels were fine, but the pH was a little high (she said that all the water where I live is like that, so it should be fine).

I'll do another water change when I get home. Is city water fine for fish tanks? I've been using that then putting in a dose of water conditioner.

I appreciate the help!

jasper408

Reaction score
There was another member that had been experiencing algae growth in his tanks, and it was attributed to the high levels of phosphorus in the water. Your situation could very well be the case.

People also use aggressive aquatic plants such as elodea to out-compete algae for nutrients.

jakejurg

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too surprised if my phosphate levels are high now that you mention it, jasper408. I just did a little research on what can cause high phosphate levels, and decaying plants was one of the sources. I have a dwarf hair grass plant that has been struggling for a couple of weeks now, and I stubbornly thought I could save it. Looks like it's leaving the tank when I get home :)

I'll look into elodea. I need to find a better place to get aquatic plants though, since the place I've been going to has ridiculous prices. Hopefully I can get this under control soon.

jakejurg

Reaction score
Thought I'd update in case anyone stumbles upon this thread at a later date, but I did get rid of the algae. I removed my plant that was in rough shape, and pruned dying leaves on my other plants. I also cleaned the tank thoroughly to remove the algae, and did about 40% water changes every other day for a week, and I've been algae free since then!

axiekeeper

Reaction score
awesome man, Im having a brown algae problem myeself, not bad and parameters are perfect, except I havent checked phosphates. Ill try what you did and check more parameters, thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1