Axolotls in college

kaikoga

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! I'm going off to university in August and because my dorm allows aquariums, I'm planning on bringing my 2 axolotls with me. Can anyone give me a few pointers on transporting axolotls and their tank necessities? Both axolotls are about 7 inches and in healthy condition, and the drive to my university is about 1 hour. But in August it will be hot hot hot so I want to make sure the drive over with them goes ok!!

I'm also wondering if it would be best to have two separate tanks, one at my house and one at my dorm, since I will have to bring them back home during winter and summer breaks. I also plan to just bring the tank and tank equipment before bringing the axolotls, so I can allow the new tank in my dorm to cycle. I would bring the axolotls to my dorm about a week later. Does this sound like a good plan? Any tips on transporting them and cycling the new tank would be great!

tumblr_mhk0p97Tki1qdzc7so1_500.jpg

Here's a pic of my axolotl Hydra for good measure :)

You could try transporting them in an esky (icebox? those insulated plastic boxes that you put ice and drinks in) even if they're in the bags of water. You could stick some icepacks in there with them.

For their stuff I'd put them all in individual bags with a little tank water in them. Keeping them wet will help your good bacteria to survive so re-cycling shouldn't be too hard.

oh ok, thanks! I thought of putting them in a cooler but I wasn't sure if they would be too cold. I'll go ahead and do that then! And I'll put my filter and tank decorations in a separate cooler.

A friend of mine lost her axolotls in her dorm room. The temperature swings were to big. If the heat gets cranked up they are goners.

I currently am in college too and I have an axolotl and an elderly beta fish. My drive is also an hour long between home and college.

I did not have my axolotl when I lived in the dorms, but I had my fish. I kept him very far away from the windows/heater. I transported his tank by draining out the tank a little and removing decorations. I buckled his tank in the front passenger seat and put a towel over the tank.

I got Meelo, my axie, this year and I now live in an apartment. Moving him back and forth is pretty easy for me. I have a designated tupperware that I put him in for the ride, with holes in the lid. I wrap the inside of a box with a towel and put the tupperware in the box. He goes on the floor of the passenger seat. I keep the AC on in my car so he doesn't get too hot. This kills my gas mileage...but oh well.

So far, I've had no issues with this. I had to bring his tank back for spring/summer break. It was a pain. I had to drain out most of the water so I could lift his tank. I am hunting for a second tank now, so having two tanks is not a bad idea. Also, I had to keep a fan on next to his tank in the winter when we had the heat on.

Everyone that comes to my apartment loves Meelo!!! He is quite the ham.
Make sure your roommate knows about your axies ahead of time too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back