Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

American andersoni keepers?

Ghost1

Banned
Reaction score
If you are in the USA and have andersoni, please post the number you keep and how long you have had them. It will be interesting to see how many (or few at this point) still have any.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
a couple years ago I had hundreds of them. Philly Billy and I took a bunch to Kentucky to the AGSC. I produced lots of them. I opened up some tank space for other projects and did not keep many. I'm down to 1.4 of them and would love to purchase a couple males.

They are not difficult but take a little more care than axolotls. It appears that people in the U.S. did not give them the necessary attention.

satyrlike

Reaction score
I'd love to get some of them. Looked all over and just can't seem to find any. I could get some through a breeder that would import them but the cost is pretty high.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's crazy that you have to even think about importing them. These were so common in the US just a couple of years ago. It seems like CB species often go through this sort of boom-n-bust. They are bred until they are common, then everyone becomes disinterested and nobody bothers to breed them, then they become hard to find. Hopefully the folks who still have them can produce enough that they don't disappear completely.

esn

Reaction score
I had a pair of nearing 2 years old, but I just lost the male to a county-wide issue with my tap water. The female has made it through, but it seems like there are very few males to go about! Hoping in the next year or two someone will breed them so I can acquire another male. I was really thinking mine would breed this year, as I already had them cooling. Female is gravid too, it's just too bad.

Slongo

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any breeders in North America or willing to ship?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1