Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma laterale metamorph

rachel1

Reaction score
My freshly morphed Ambystoma laterale just started to develop his spots, at 10 days out of the water. He is about 2" long. So excited!
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/rachel1/albums/ambystoma-laterale/34411-image/
I have been free ranging small critters (isopods & springtails) in his enclosure, also a couple drosophila hydei. He has been taking 1/2" chunks of earthworm every other day. How frequently do most people feed their metamorphs? Does that sound about right?

sde

Reaction score
Well done!

I think he looks a healthy weight right now. Essentially you just don't want him to become over weight, just use your best judgment and he will be fine. I personally don't even bother feeding newly morphs that much, because they often don't accept food right away. So I can't really say how much is a good amount. But like I said, the weight he is at right now looks good, so I would recommend keeping him around that weight.

Congrats! -Seth

rachel1

Reaction score
Here's an updated picture of my little ones. They seem to be doing very well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 439

rachel1

Reaction score
Color keeps getting nicer very day, they are getting darker and darker. I have two metamorphs, and one that seems content to stay aquatic forever. Wondering if losing an arm has delayed his metamorphosis?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 416
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!