Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unknown Species

JG

Reaction score
So I live in Northern Mississippi and we never see many salamanders or newts but I discovered a little stream flowing through the woods and there were some salamanders in it but from what I observed the smallest ones (2-3 cm) did not have any gills but most definitely salamanders and the largest ones I saw (2 inches) were a yellowish brown with gills I plan to go back and get photos but I don't want to hurt the animals so it may be a little difficult I will keep updating this thread for help but if anyone knows a species of salamander that as a baby has no gills but progressively grows them I would appreciate the response and of course they could be two different species of salamander still unclear though

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
It's all but impossible to say what species without pictures, if you gently catch them in a clear plastic sandwich bag while you get some pics, then release them afterwards they should be none the worse for it.

JG

Reaction score
I did actually get a picture of two of them before I let them go in a nice container I set up so let them sit comfortably in when I took pictures of them again I live in Northern MS in case that helps

Attachments

• salamanders pdf.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 376

JG

Reaction score
So I live in Northern Mississippi and we never see many salamanders or newts but I discovered a little stream flowing through the woods and there were some salamanders in it but from what I observed the smallest ones (2-3 cm) did not have any gills but most definitely salamanders and the largest ones I saw (2 inches) were a yellowish brown with gills I plan to go back and get photos but I don't want to hurt the animals so it may be a little difficult I will keep updating this thread for help but if anyone knows a species of salamander that as a baby has no gills but progressively grows them I would appreciate the response and of course they could be two different species of salamander still unclear thoughView attachment salamanders pdf.pdf

JG

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the larger one with a smaller one next to it

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 386
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!