Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

P. caudopunctatus breeding - it only took 10 years

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In 2006, I obtained a small number of eggs from someone else's captive Paramesotriton caudopunctatus. In the old days, this species was sold occasionally in pet shops, but was already rare in the US by 2006. Those adult animals no longer exist, and I don't know of any others in the US.

This has to be the slowest-growing species I have ever raised. They spent several years in their terrestrial phase, and still needed several more years of aquatic growth. For several years, I kept the male separated from the females because he was larger and the females weren't doing well in the same tank with him. My group of 1:2 finally reached breeding size and were all living together in 2015, but didn't breed until this year.

Sorry about the terrible photos. They are in a big old tank with hazy glass, and my camera refused to focus on them.

Attachments

• IMG_7563_Pcaudo1.jpg
    IMG_7563_Pcaudo1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_7565_Pcaudo2.jpg
    IMG_7565_Pcaudo2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_7570_Pcaudo2.jpg
    IMG_7570_Pcaudo2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_7574_Pcaudo_eggs1.jpg
    IMG_7574_Pcaudo_eggs1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_7562_Pcaudo_eggs2.jpg
    IMG_7562_Pcaudo_eggs2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 667

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations! :) I always think Paramesotriton have the best looking larvae of all!

It sure is sad to think how many of the Chinese exports have died either en route or shortly after, in fact it strikes me that species like these are a not only a good example of why import restrictions are needed, but also why inter-state bans are detrimental. The few knowledgeable people that bought the sorry looking 'dog faced newts' or 'godzilla newts' from petstores with a view to establishing a breeding colony now won't bother because the market for the offspring is now restricted to their particular state.

sinomoyyhi89

Reaction score
Congratulations jennewt! A remarkable achievement. It's a shame this genus isn't more commonly bred. Keep up the good work!

Henry Janssen

Reaction score
My congratulations for succesfull raising these to adulthood Jennifer. I can confirm your observation that Paramesotriton caudopunctatus take this long to mature. There are not many of them left in captivity nowadays in the U.S. nor in Europ, so it's great news that your F1 group is now breeding.

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Awesome Jennewt!!! Of course Paramesotriton the best species group ever! You crush! Congrats! Well a decade later and I guess you would say it was worth it? Maybe you can develop a newt growth hormone!!! :)

slowfoot

Reaction score
I'm not Jen, but she sent me some eggs :eek:

I have 3 of the original 6 that hatched and grew. Deaths were mostly my fault for not having an extremely secure lid. Two are now terrestrial and one has stayed aquatic. They seem to be growing, but their survival seems precarious to me: I never see them eat, or see them at all, actually. I've run out of the small garden worms they must have been eating, and I'm hoping they'll make the switch to chopped earthworms... Hoping for the best.

I've attached a pic of the two terrestrial morphs. Their colors are slightly duller than the aquatic morph, otherwise they look the same.

Attachments

• IMG_3046.jpg
    IMG_3046.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 585

Blackbun

Reaction score
Well jennewt I think you deserve some kind of award recognising not only this achievement but for your dedication and perserverence. Ten years is a long time to stick with a species. I've seen so many ads created by people selling stock on after keeping the animals for six months or even less. Well done.

velasco13000

Reaction score
Does anybody still keep any of these guys? I would be interested in purchasing some. I am raising many different types of paramesotritons and have found great success.

sinomoyyhi89

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to acquire some of Jennewts offspring from this breeding. I’ve had them about 3 years now. One went aquatic this summer but the other is still land locked for now.

Attachments

• 07D9C87B-2014-4BE8-BD4D-6952D862CAD1.jpeg
    07D9C87B-2014-4BE8-BD4D-6952D862CAD1.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 191
  • 0292E67B-14E8-4187-8FA0-229D796DB172.jpeg
    0292E67B-14E8-4187-8FA0-229D796DB172.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 199
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!