Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pyrenean S.s. bernadezi???

mike

Reaction score
Hi Kevin,
I know that the participants of this thread are passionate about these salamanders, and are genuinely concerned about their welfare, (both captive bred and wild populations).
I think the point that has been made here is that when the vast majority of people in the UK see adult Salamandra in shops, they do not realize that they are most likely to have been illegally collected from their home country.
The alternative is go to genuine breeders / outlets, who will sell surplus offspring to you. You will have to be prepared to wait for a few years before you can sex these juveniles, and it makes sense to buy a number of them, to guarantee that you end up with both sexes.
Regards, Mike.

kevin

Reaction score
Thanks Mike,
Points taken.....Call me naive,(or just plain thick) but I had no idea that Fire Salamanders (Rarer stuff such as Neurergus sure)were part of the smugglers''shopping lists'.....I have just become enlightened!!!
OK, well I owe it to the species to get females, and anyway I don't believe in keeping anything without doing whatever is possible to increase it's numbers in captivity, so I'll see what is available for now in the way of adult females, and after that be more careful with what I'm buying...
Cheers
Kevin}}}

kevin

Reaction score
I should also point out that Sergé is of course absolutely right in what he says.
We live and learn.
Thanks.
Kevin

kevin

Reaction score
Hi folks.
Well........I got one.
Isn't she a beaut? She came from the same source as my males, and yes, they are unfortunately WC. But if it's any consolation, I won't be buying any more Sallies unless they are CB

A big thanks to the guys who were keeping an eye open for a female for me.
Kevin
45332.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!