Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl owner!

Starfreak7

Reaction score
Hello Everyone-

I'm very excited to be the new mommie to an axolotl. I've been researching them for months and I finally found someone in my area who is selling them. I have what I'm pretty sure is a boy axolotl. He was born Feb 25th, 2008. He is adorable and has already brought me a lot of joy.

I live in Washington in a town right outside of Seattle. I've had some challenges with the water tempature as it has been pretty hot around here this last week. Honestly, I think I've been more stressed out about making his living conditions as good as possible than he has with all the changes.

Currently, I have a 20 gallon tank with sand at the bottom. The sand I got was supposed to be sugar-fine, but I found a bunch of small pieces of shells and coral in it which I had to filter out. I have a good cave for him and some rocks and colorful jewels big enough not to fit in his mouth. I am filtering his water with a Fluval U3 filter.

Does anyone have any tips for a new owner who is stressed about making the conditions perfect for him?

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Starfreak, welcome to the site

Best advice I can give is keep coming back and ask lots of questions

roobot5000

Reaction score
You stated it's been hot there.
In those cases i would just keep monitoring the enclosure's temperatures.
If it gets too hot you can always add ice to bring the temps down or look into getting a chiller for your tank.
But as it stands now it sounds like he has a good home.

Welcome to the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShesMyLotti

Reaction score
Hey,
Glad to see you here!
You are doing a great job. Take a deep breath and enjoy him :) Lotti sends her love...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1