salamanders that stay aquatic? or newts

bekker

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all! so i would love to find a smaller sized salamander... or even newt that stays aquatic! Conditions it would have to meet are temps of 75 and could not grow larger then 5 inches with 3-4 being perfect. Any ideas?? Also it would be in a 30 gal with a few neon tetras and guppies. If it had some color that would be nice but i know i would probably be looking more in the newt direction if that were the case.

Your best bet would be any of the Cynops species, especially Cynops cyanurus; however, I must say that neon tetras will require temperatures a bit higher than even these guys would be comfortable at. You'd also have to take into account the possibility of the guppies, their fry, and even the tetras becoming newt food.

Your best bet would be any of the Cynops species, especially Cynops cyanurus; however, I must say that neon tetras will require temperatures a bit higher than even these guys would be comfortable at. You'd also have to take into account the possibility of the guppies, their fry, and even the tetras becoming newt food.

Aquatic newts and salamanders are temperate animals and will become stressed and be more susceptible to illness and death if kept above 70F for long periods of time. Cynops ensicauda will survive temps up to 80F, but the majority of the year its temperature should be 68-75F with a cooler winter period if possible. The other Cynops species are not so tolerant of high temperatures and do best below 70F.

Most amphibians just do no make good tank mates for fish. Temperature requirements are usually not the same, the larger amphibians will eat fish and the smaller ones (such as African dwarf frogs) are often out competed for food.

If you were to add fish to the tank with the cynops then white cloud minnows would be a more appropriate choice based on temperature. Before you start mixing animals make sure you do plenty of reading to make your own informed decision.

I would rarely recommend taking an existing fish setup and trying to add amphibians. Their needs are different. It is possible to have both together in some cases, but this doesn't sound like a great long-term setup for a newt.

well i guess no amphibians for me... thanks for the info. update on my albino sal. soon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back