Other Species of Salamanders in Southern Adirondack Mountains, New York

Sean Brady

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sean Brady
I was just wondering if there are any more species of salamanders that I haven't found yet inhabiting the area around my camp which is located in the southern Adirondacks of New York state. More specifically, the camp is located on Mountain Lake in Bleecker, NY.

There is quite a lot of land around this area that I can search for salamanders in and with all this land, there are different types of habitats. The elevation ranges from 1500 feet to 1650 feet.
As for bodies of water, there is the lake that my camp is on, Mountain Lake that has a dam which used to host tons of larvae of some sort (probably Nopthalamus v. viridescens). Then, there are several small ponds around the pipeline either due to low elevation lower than the lake or because some are in small valleys where rainwater collects. These used to host Nopthalamus v. viridescens in their aquatic stage. There is also a large pond that hosts a countless number of frogs, even though this number used to be much larger because the pond has since been slightly drained. This pond also used to or still hosts snapping turtles. There is also a stream that is attached to Mountain Lake right beside my camp which was recently dammed by beavers and was a large pond, but has since become a marsh. Another stream that i have not searched a lot for salamanders in is the one that flows from Mountain lake to Lake Edward which is the reason for the dam on Mountain lake. The final body of water in this area is Lake Edward which has many aquatic Nopthalamus v. viridescens of which Mountain Lake probably doesn't have because Mountain lake is much more populated than lake Edward.
Then there is the estimated 16,000,000 sq. ft. of land around my camp. All this land is filled with terrestrial Nopthalamus v. viridescens also known as "red efts" in this stage and also some Plethodon cinereus. They are abundant in the greatest quantity on the trail to Lake Edward. This trail descends in elevation quickly (about 40 feet every 400 feet) and has a lot of tree cover. Then there is the pipeline which is an area about half a mile long and 15 feet wide that houses the pipeline. It is sunny and buggy here and there is tall grass. Some of the small ponds listed above are along this. There used to be many red efts along here basking in the sun on moss and rocks and what not and now there are probably less than half because the other side of the pipeline is being deforested for some reason (and I have not been there since last summer so by now there may be a larger area deforested). Now the majority of these red efts are under logs instead of out in the open along this pipeline.

Those are basically all the different habitats in this area. Here are the species I have found in this area so far:
Red-spotted Newt (Nopthalamus v. viridescens)
Red-back Salamander (Plethodon cinereus)
I think I have also found Dusky Salamanders (Desmognathus fuscus)
Should I be able to find other species of salamanders here? If so, when and where should I look for them and what weather conditions should be present?
Should I be able to find other species here? If so, what species? When and where should I look for them? What weather conditions should be present?

Also, back until about 15 years ago, Spotted salamanders also used to be found here under logs and things. they are probably still here, but not under logs like they used to be. How can I find them too?

Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back