Hi Y'all, Wannabe Axolotl Owner Here

Was lovely seeing the childrens pictures :D It sounds like they thoroughly enjoyed talking and learning about axies. Maybe some axie owners in the making lol

Those are some awesome paintings :D So cute how children remember the weirdest things.

Awesome ^^

Hi y'all, I thought it was time I posted an update.

Zoe, kerry and Mel, you were all absolutely spot on, axolotls are so addictive. I have a feeling that Mike and Kylie will soon be joined by a leucistic type.

Ness, your prediction might very well come true I have already upgraded my tank to a 3ft one and I'm certain I can now squeeze another youngster in there. This means I have a spare 2ft tank which I can use if I ever need to separate them. I have plans to upgrade my tropical fishtank to 5ft next year, but the way things are going I might end up relegating the fish to the hallway and putting the axies in the 5ft.

Ness and SmartBartje thanks for the comments about Class 1's paintings. They ask me about Mike and Kylie every time I see them and I have had parents asking me about them too. Maybe there will be some new axie owners.

Hello to anyone from Our Lady and All Saints Primary School, that has been directed here.

Julia, do you have links to pictures of your "raving lunatic daughter's" 2 foot leucistic axolotl creation? I bet it's amazing. BTW, I'm intrigued by Rayson and Jacquie's Axolotl Sanctuary. I shall look it up when I'm done here.

Zoe, there is still a considerable size difference between Mike and Kylie, but they seem to be getting on really well together. There is now lots and lots of room and even more hiding places
in my new 3ft tank.

Naughty T, you are very lucky to have Mudkip and as you already know, from another forum, I'm really pleased he's found a good home.

Rayson, it's an absolute pleasure to share my axie pics and "descriptive commentaries!" Sharing is the least I could do after the warmth and support I've received from this community.

Ianclick, thanks for your comments. When I bought Mike, I had no idea how beautiful he would look under the aquarium light.

Jaquie, thanks very much, but having looked at the incredible quality of the calendar entries so far, I think I will gracefully decline your invitation.

Mike, why-aye man. How's Ron?

Azhael and Celeste, thank you, I haven't seen any other axie that looks quite as green as Mike, I'm hoping he doesn't darken with age/size.

Sorry it took so long to respond to everyone's comments, It's been quite a busy week with the tank swap. Better late than never eh?

Anyway, Mike and Kylie are thriving in their new home. they are eating smallish earthworms every day and they took to pellets instantly, which they also have every day. They didn't seem to like cooked prawns but enjoy frozen bloodworm twice a week.

They are already developing their own lil character. Kylie will come to the front of the tank and watch the world going by, while Mike thinks nothing of tupping my finger with his nose (is this normal?) as I spread out the rapidly growing Elodea canadensis. (thanks again Justin)

I'll post pictures next week, when I hope to be able to notice a bit more growth on Kylie's missing foot.

Ron.

Ron...you sound like you're having an amazing time with Mike and Kylie!

Keep up the good work!!!

Ron's fine. He's moving home on Friday to my Mum's place while we get sorted moving home, so I'm gonna miss him!

Q: What do you call an axolotl that's had one of its gill stalks bitten off?

A: Gilbert (but pronounced Gilbit)

Well thats what I have called my new and tiny baby leucistic axolotl. As soon as he is settled into his tank, I will get some piccys, but he doesn't need the extra stress of aquarium lighting, on top of moving home, just yet. (my poor old camera really doesn't perform without adequate lighting)

I can't actually see a gill stump or a hole or anything, is it possible that Gilbit was born with just 2 gill stems on one side? Anyway, he seems really healthy otherwise. He's about 6.5cm long or 2.5" for those of you across the pond. You needn't worry I will be keeping a very close eye in the general missing gill area for anything odd.

Now, I know axies don't need company, but guess what?

I thought the little fella would be so lost, alone in his new tank, so I bought one of his sisters too. (yeah yeah I know there's no way of sexing them yet)

I decided to call her Blade, as she was born and bred in Sheffield. (You non Brits are just going to have to look it up in Wikipedia if you don't get the link)

Blade may also have a problem. Her breeder explained to me before I went to get her that she has forward facing gills. Again, I will get a piccy up soon. The breeder explained that she has been like this for weeks and she has tried fridging the little lass without it making any difference. She has come out of a tank that contained larger axies so we both agree this could have been causing her some stress. There's nothing else about her that worries me, she eats, she can poo, she doesn't have a curled tail, and she seems a happy curious little axie. I'm thinking it might just be the way her gills hang. Again, I will keep a close eye on the situation.

I'm betting the little guys are going to be fine.

Ron.

Hey Ron
Sounds like the little ones are doing well!!
Love the names.

Gilbert definately had 3 gills on that side but i think he may have had fungus at some point a while back, which i salt bathed and the branch just doesn't seem to have grown back.
I was assuming it would at some point but not 100% as nothing seemed to be happening.

Keep in touch

Mel

Hey Ron

Wow, you are so lucky to have aquired a full family, in all those different colours! Next week you'll probably be popping up, having just got a piebald!

In regards to the curled gills, some younger axies are prone to this, if I remember rightly - I believe it's due to the length and weight of the gills, in relation to the little body - so, your axie may well just need to grow into her gills. Pics will help...hint hint (it's not just that I want to see your new babies, honest!) :D

Zoe x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back