How do people prefer to keep spring salamanders?

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
I have a large adult Spring Sal (approx. 7.5"), and I am wondering how the community keeps their's? Right now it is in a 10 gal with about an inch and a half at most water, and plenty of rocky, and wooded hides. Will it feed on land and/or water? What is the preferred food choice? I hope someone can help out, I've never kept this species before..

-jbherpin-

Hey Justin long time no see. Ive kept them before and found they like small worms and sometimes would eat a small cricket. I do remember reading that they feed on dusky and red back salamanders in the wild. I don't know how you feel about that. The most important thing with keeping them was to keep the water extremely clean and cool. I have always found them in water that never gotten above 65 degrees even in the hottest days of summer. Keep a air stone in the water they like alot of oxygen in their water!!! The spring I find them in even drys up in late June only rise back to the surface in Decemeber. They retreat underground at this time. The last one I saw was about 3 years ago and was out hunting a few yards from that spring during a late night November rain storm. Which got the spring running just in time for deer camp Hope this helps

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back