Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Batrachoseps Slender Salamanders

AU SalamanderRG

Reaction score
Hey. New to the forum, and I must say, this is a great place.

Anyways, I'd like to say, Salamnders and Newts are just about my FAVORITE kind of amphibian. There's something about them that makes them so unique as compared to Frogs. Whether it be because of their Lizard-like bodies or there somewhat different look is really something I may not be able to put my finger on.

Anyways, of all the Salamanders I've seen, Slender Salamanders are my fave of the group. However, beyond this care sheet, there seems to be not much in terms of care data and availability data. Anyone willing to help out?

Note from John: Moved to the help section.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I believe all of them are protected species here in the US, with very limited ranges in California (All of the CA are protected by state law with limited collection allowed on B. pacificus and B.attenuattus) and Washington State.

There is quite a bit of argument about the current status of this genus.

The Petranka book has quite a good bit about them.

Here is some other links you may enjoy also.

http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/CABatrachoseps.html

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/habcon/info/herp_ssc.pdf

http://www.californiaherps.com/salamanders/pages/b.nigriventris.html

I have always enjoyed them myself. I found my first one by accident while working under a house out there. He was perfectly mummified naturally and at first I mistook him for a juvenile alligator lizard! Over the years I was lucky enough to get to see two of the rarest ones in the wild.

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
I have kept B. attenuatus and fed them very small crickets which they snapped up. they seem very easy to keep and must be a hardy species because they have adapted well to human activity. They occur in urban gardens alongside Aneides lugubris.

They are common as muck and by far the most common species I encounter... they can be found in large numbers under logs and rocks. I find many different color variations from black to reddish brown to golden yellow or tan...

Care, as far as housing, is going to be similar to Ensatinas and Aneides. The only difference would be that slender salamanders burrow, so a deep substrate might be helpful.
They are excellent escape artists... they can stick in the corners of an aquarium and climb out if it's not covered and, because they are very slender, they fit through the tiniest openings... I'd say that a shoebox set up would be more practical than a traditional terrarium...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1