Transporting Salamanders from the UK/EU

nkatko

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me if there are any US or European custom regulations regarding transporting a salamander or two, purchased in the UK or EU, and brought back to the US on a commercial airplane as part of my carry on luggage?

The rules (and/or the enforcement of them) are constantly changing. You should not trust any answer offered on an Internet forum, or you could find yourself breaking the law, or having the animals confiscated. The only way to get an accurant, current answer for the exact species you are considering is to call US Fish and Wildlife and explain to them exactly what you want to do.
http://www.fws.gov/le/ImpExp/Contact_Info_Ports.htm

You should also check with the airline about its rules. In general, I believe that such animals have to be packed to travel as luggage (in a cooler, for example, with a room-temp cold pack to prevent freezing), not as carry-on.

Most airlines will not allow live animals as carry on luggage. As Jen said, the rules and laws change constantly, so research direct from the sources is your safest bet. Keep in mind the species of animal may come into play too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back