Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bufo Debilis

jjgordon24

Reaction score
I recently just bought this toad from general exotics and i love it already but it seems as tho its really stressed. it tends to hit the glass alot and pace back and forth against it like its trying to get out. any tips to keep the stress down? i have an american toad in the same tank and they get along fine.

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If the toad seems stressed, then how do you know it is getting along fine with the American toad?

How big is the tank? Are there sufficient hide spots?

Mixing these two species might work, though you are taking a risk that foreign pathogens (or toxins) from one of the toads could cause an illness in the other. Size disparity between the two species could also be an issue; American toads can get significantly larger than B. debilis.

jjgordon24

Reaction score
well i have seen the debilis next to the american toad and they dont seem to be scared of each other. then i notice that the debilis randomly tries to climb out and starts to hit the glass but it seems unrelated to the american toad. i could take the american toad out for a day and see what happens but i dnt think thats the issue. i have a 20 gallon tank and i have alot of moss and two logs to hide under, two live plants, and a fake plant

joshfrogz72

Reaction score
western green toads dont like it to moist, they seem to like it more on the dry side, they can be a little skittish when they are new and need to get use to there new home. i have 4 of them and they are fine they need hiding spots. the american toads gets alot bigger then them i would try to put them seperate and see how that works. the western green toads do hide alot and come out when its feeding time. and when you say looks stressed out what is he doing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!