Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Gender and age ?

SwampGoth

Reaction score
Hello!

I wanted to know if anyone can help me determine the sex of my new Axolotl, Chubbles. I have unloaded pictures. Also will anyone know an approximate age Chubbles might be? Chubbles measures at about 7 and a half inches.
Thank you for any help you can give.

IMPORTANT NOTE Chubbles is in a VERY TEMPORARY container in these pictures. The cycle for the tank is done but I am paranoid and wanted to wait one extra day to be sure everything is safe for my Chubbles.

Have a wonderful day!
Swamp Goth

Attachments

• 20181220_223226.jpg
    20181220_223226.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 20181220_223245.jpg
    20181220_223245.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 240

Steph713

Reaction score
Male Axolotls will be slimmer than female Axolotls. Their cloacal will be much larger than those of a female. so i will suggest that this one is female

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Yes looks like a female! Age is harder to place, but I see her finger tips are lighter which can be an arbitrary way of telling that they are sexually mature, and being 7.5 inches long she is likely a teen. I'd place her between 7-9 months or so?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!