Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate: Bare AND sand ?

Megg

Reaction score
My guys are currently on a bare bottom tank. I plan to transition them to sand. Anyone have a tank with both? Any photos or fun ideas of how you've done both substrates!
TIA

Fireguy

Reaction score
The best thing to probably though is add a small one or two inch divider between the sand and the bare bottom portion of your tank. Well, either a divider or a proper transition between both kinds of tank bottoms. If you just clump the sand on one side, there's more chances that the axolotl eats it as it will be eye level with it (and that means it's going in it's mouth, regardless of what it is lol).

ArwenX7

Reaction score
I am interested in this too. I've acquired a new, slightly larger tank and I'm thinking of doing slate/rock covered section, and a "planted garden" section at the other end with a "pool" of clear space in the middle- bordered by large stone).

Something like the attached, the lilac colour being a bare bottom bit of the tank.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 131

Kochebi

Reaction score
Another thing you could do if you're worried about them ingesting sand while eating is getting a reptile food bowl. I had one for my boys and it worked quite well. I don't use it any more for my female as she eats her food before it's anywhere near the bottom of the tank....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1