Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Kimchee is... afraid of the dark?

mdtaylor

Reaction score
Kimchee is probably around a year old, and recently I've noticed that whenever the lights are very very low (or presumably off) she's almost always swimming back and forth in the tank and bumping her nose on the glass, and generally acting sort of worried. Whenever the lights are on, she'll trundle around the tank and snuffle for food and follow me around, but she doesn't usually swim continuously. If the lights are dim and I notice her swimming, she calms down very quickly as soon as I turn a light on. I know generally they don't like bright lights (and I never really have any bright lights aimed at her tank) so this seems a little weird, but... is it at all possible that she gets nervous when there isn't enough light to see anything? I used to have a night-light in the same room and didn't really notice her being anxious until recently, when I haven't been using it.

I have to assume she doesn't swim all night, but it sure seems like it sometimes. I got a little more concerned this morning when I noticed a very small tear along the bottom edge of her tail (very small, nothing I'd consider very serious) but there's nothing sharp in her tank, and I'm not sure how she would've managed it.

Anyways... it just seems a little strange and I don't want her to be too stressed out. At first I thought maybe she was just happiest when the lights were out, but her movements don't feel relaxed at all when it's dark.

I checked the water parameters, and as usual, temperature is in the low 60s, pH is somewhere between 7 and 7.6, no ammonia or nitrites, and as near as I can tell, the nitrates are around 40. I have a really hard time distinguishing between the 40 and 80 nitrate levels with the API master kit though, so I'm always worried it's a little higher than that, but I try to change a little less than half of the water every week. She's got two sponge filters and a bubble stone, along with lots of hornwort.

Any thoughts? Is it super silly to think she might be afraid of the dark? It kinda feels silly, but I'm not sure how else to explain it. Thanks everyone :}

Hayleyy

Reaction score
They're typically more active in the dark so you may just have a super active axie. How big is the tank and what kind of hides do you have?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1