Sick axolotls turned yellow

Kev91

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
An friend sent this of axolotls. She not eating and colour change I could be over thinking any one confirm this is normal or something to worry about. Started with bit blood on the Gill and Gill started bleeding
Water was ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 I've done water change. Used prime. And she not eaten for 3weeks exactly. And temp is kept 16 too 18. It's at 14.9 now after water change pH 8.
The axolotls seem to have went a yellow shade it is Lucy any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190317-232330.jpg
    Screenshot_20190317-232330.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 252
  • Screenshot_20190317-232316.jpg
    Screenshot_20190317-232316.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 217
  • Screenshot_20190317-232322.jpg
    Screenshot_20190317-232322.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 240
In general the axolotl looks healthy, nice and plump with good gills. The gill bleeding may be from an injury either from another axolotl or bumping it on decorations. Have the owners check decorations for any sharp bits as these can cause injury.
The colouration is interesting. I would assume it's genetic and they carry the yellow pigment. Can you get them to check if the eyes have a reflective ring when light is shined on it (doesn't have to be direct light), or are they just black?
I tried to find some more info, will link them for you
https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92723
https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106147
As for the axolotl not eating, what are they usually fed? Do you know if any male axolotls are kept with them?

I know there is two in the tank not sure if the sex are confirmed fully yet think around 8 months. just seem rapid change why I curious wanted to confirm nothing to worry about. Think main diet is earthworms but would need to check on it.

Thank you Hayleyy

I think I read somewhere that females can go off food when reabsorbing eggs though I don't know how long this takes. I wouldn't think 3 weeks :/
If they have access to other foods then it's worth trying. I've had axolotls go off even the tastiest nightcrawlers but will go back to eating them after I offer something else.

I was thinking the change was rapid but after thinking about got feeling it was couse off weeks that's makes sense. I have also read and seen the egg thing. As you said looks healthy thing mainly mistake with out a real time frame in mind always nice getting things confirmed I'm still new to axolotls only had my 2 for over a year plus nice knowing things to look out for.
Can't thank you enough hayleyy

Very happy to reassure you. Have them keep an eye out for any signs of illness but I don't think there is much to worry about right now :)

Small up date seen to be bleeding from tip of the Gil and bit on the tail now

It could be getting injured on some decorations or a bite from the tank mate. I would separate them (either tub the one with the injuries or use a tank divider) while these heal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back