Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brand new to axolotls- looking for advice on what to do to next

honeydew

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
In advance, I wanna apologize as there's probably going to be some stupid questions in here. I appreciate any and all advice or criticisms.

Backstory:
I've wanted a pet axolotl for a while, and a small pet shop near where I live began selling some babies of them a little while back. I had done some basic research, but most of it was to find out what I needed for supplies so I would know how much money to save up before purchasing one of them.
A few days ago, I went into the shop to see only one was left. The workers told me they got them from someone whose axolotls had babies, and so they weren't going to carry them again any time soon. Since nowhere else around here carries them, I sort of panicked and bought the last baby along with a 10-gallon tank (planning on upgrading to 20 when they grow a bit,) some frozen bloodworms, a small artificial log and some water dechlorinating fluid. The pet-store worker informed me I wouldn't need any form of filter and that the axolotls didn't need any special care. Obviously, I did a ton of research on here once I brought my baby home and I know that's false. I have a sponge filter coming in today, and also just used a water test kit for the first time.

ANYWAY, here's where I'm looking for advice on what I should do. In the past 3 days I have been waiting for the filter, I've done ~30% water changes daily as well as cleaned up any leftover worms. However, because of a lack of information, my tank was not properly cycled before I added my axolotl.
I got my test kit in today and the readings are as follows:

ph: 7.5
Ammonia: somewhere below .25ppm
Nitrite: somewhere around .25ppm
Nitrate: a little above 0ppm

My axolotl has been acting normally and eating whenever I feed them. The tank has some live plants (Java fern, Anubias, 4 marimo and some floating plant that came with my baby) and I've been keeping the tank cool with a fan and some damp towels around the tank.

The reason I was motivated to post this is because the water looks cloudier than usual today. I can still see everything, but not nearly as clearly as the past few days. I did the usual water change, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Could this be a bacterial bloom, and if so, should I tub my baby until the tank cycles?

Here's a picture of Peepo for reference- he's a little smaller than my thumb right now and also albino so it's hard to get a good photo, sorry!

yDYyFZ5
cyloIlp

Thanks so much if you bothered reading any of that, and I'd love help from some more experienced caregivers!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Welcome! While your tank cycles I recommend keeping your little one in a small tub and do 100% water changes daily. This ensures your axie is safe from everything and your tank will cycle a lot faster. You can also get bottled bacteria which is supposed to help it along (accounts vary on whether this helps).
The live plants will really help the cycling so it's a great idea to have them! Make sure there are a couple of hides for the axie so you can have a light on for a few hrs/day (for the plants and/or cleaning).
The cloudiness is probably a bacterial bloom. Nothing to worry about but looks bad :/ Sorry I can't open the pictures, do you have any substrate?

honeydew

Reaction score
Welcome! While your tank cycles I recommend keeping your little one in a small tub and do 100% water changes daily. This ensures your axie is safe from everything and your tank will cycle a lot faster. You can also get bottled bacteria which is supposed to help it along (accounts vary on whether this helps).
The live plants will really help the cycling so it's a great idea to have them! Make sure there are a couple of hides for the axie so you can have a light on for a few hrs/day (for the plants and/or cleaning).
The cloudiness is probably a bacterial bloom. Nothing to worry about but looks bad :/ Sorry I can't open the pictures, do you have any substrate?

Thank you! So I know the tank is done cycling once the levels are where they should be right? And sorry about the pictures- I tried to edit the post to fix them but I don't seem to be able to. This is him!:

picture.php

And no, no substrate as of yet!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
So small!! Cute!
Only asked about the substrate because if it's sand that hasn't been washed properly it can cloud the water. It's probably a bacterial bloom then.
Once you have 0 ammonia and nitrite and a bit of nitrates then you're done cycling :)

honeydew

Reaction score
So small!! Cute!
Only asked about the substrate because if it's sand that hasn't been washed properly it can cloud the water. It's probably a bacterial bloom then.
Once you have 0 ammonia and nitrite and a bit of nitrates then you're done cycling :)

Thanks for the help! I started fresh yesterday and tubbed Peepo then got some pure ammonia to start the cycle. I just hope this goes quickly, I hate seeing Peepo stuck in that little tub. He just doesn't look happy in there...

honeydew

Reaction score
So small!! Cute!

Sorry for the double post!
In your experience, how long should cycling take? The tank I’m cycling is 10 gallons and I added 4ppm of ammonia a few days ago but I haven’t observed any change in the ammonia or nitrite levels yet. The local fish store also gave me some frogbit straight out of one of their tanks so I’m hoping that might help! I got a smaller tank to keep Peepo in during the process because I felt too bad leaving him in a tub, but I still feel guilty leaving him in that when I have this nice tank waiting for him!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
There isn't a rule about how long cycling takes, it can be weeks to months. A 10 gallon shouldn't take too long really, the first bit might take some days then once it's going it should be fast. To speed it up you want to introduce some beneficial bacteria if you can, either bottled from a store or by putting decorations or filter media from a cycled tank if you can borrow from a friend. The plants will do this, in the next few days you should see a change. Test the water every day or two and keep a record. You don't need to do any water changes at this point (as long as the axolotl isn't in there), until you're ready to put the axie in.
Don't worry about having him in a tub, axies don't really care haha. Cycling takes longer if you have the axolotl in the tank because you have to do a lot of water changes. He'll be happier in there than an uncycled tank :)

honeydew

Reaction score
There isn't a rule about how long cycling takes, it can be weeks to months. A 10 gallon shouldn't take too long really, the first bit might take some days then once it's going it should be fast. To speed it up you want to introduce some beneficial bacteria if you can, either bottled from a store or by putting decorations or filter media from a cycled tank if you can borrow from a friend. The plants will do this, in the next few days you should see a change. Test the water every day or two and keep a record. You don't need to do any water changes at this point (as long as the axolotl isn't in there), until you're ready to put the axie in.
Don't worry about having him in a tub, axies don't really care haha. Cycling takes longer if you have the axolotl in the tank because you have to do a lot of water changes. He'll be happier in there than an uncycled tank :)

Thank you! I really appreciate this so much, thank you for taking the time to reassure me. I adore this little guy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!