The end's of my golden axolotl gill have gone white

D

daniel

Hi

5 Week's ago i bought a 36" 18" 18" Fish tank for axolotl's with an eheim 2224 with a spray bar that i'v faced against the wall so doesent blow the axolotl's around i put the axolotl on on the first axolot in the tank on the 3d week and then i put the second axolotl in tank on the 4th week when i put the second axolotl witch is 25cm long with realy big long gill's after the week i went to do a water cange 25% , the axolotl gill's looked not as good has thay had when i put him in the week befor what could be the prob the look like there gone white on about 2mm on the ends of the gill's. I have one of those aquaruim pharm master test kits and i tested the water when i put the axolotl's in and every weekend befor i do my water change. The p.h was 7.0 the g.h was 161.1ppm the no2 was 0ppm the no3 was 0ppm and the nh4 was oppm please what do you think the prob could be? Thanks

p.s my other axolotl witch is 25cm all so has nothing rong with his gill's and look's fine

Thanks

Just given that you're in Australia, is it really hot down there and what temperature is the tank. At the moment heaps of Aussies are having massive problems (me included), first the gills deteriorate a bit and then probably a fungus might show... salt water baths (read other posts on how to do this) is good for the treatment of the fungus but the temperature is vital to be below 20 and to be stable in the tank.

If it is the temperature I suggest bottles (decent size) of frozen water floated on the top, people also suggest fans blowing across the water helps, this won't help if the room is too hot though (from personal experience). So yeah how's the temperature in their tank?

Celia

That's the thing Celia the tank temp is only 19-20 and it has been like that for the last 2 weeks. I got back after being out for the day and it seem's to have got worse but the other one seam's fine and happy. Please Help

Dan

Hello everyone,

I've posted once or twice before, and after looking at this thread, it sounds like the same problem I'm having. I have a lovely little wild-type called Kurt who has white fungus/mold type growths on two of his gills. I am giving him salt baths and it hasn't done much so far.... it's only been four days though, so I'm hoping it will make some progress soon.

His tank temperature is normally 18 degrees and he also lives with another - just like Daniel's. And just like Daniel's, the other one seems to be fine(?) It is a bit of a mystery.

Unfortunately, I cannot post a picture as my digital camera recently broke - humph! However, since I am already following the currently given advice, I was just wondering if anyone out there has any more suggestions? Did you get rid of the fungus yourself Daniel?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone

Michelle
*crimpers*

well when i moved my axies into their new tanks they got a bit stressed out from the change in surroundings etc and their gills look a bit icky for a while. it might just be due to the stress?

Yay!

Well, salt baths 3 times a day seems to have done the trick. His white stuff has now gone - Yay!

However, the same Axie now seems to be bouyant! (oo-er...) so I've posted for help in a thread on the same subject.... eep!

Michelle - I'm glad to hear the fungus has cleared, I hope you have good luck working on the air bubble now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back