Where are all the plethodontid keepers?

I had to give mine up because I live in Tennessee now, and we can not keep any native species.

I just started keeping two since I caught them. They're very squirmy but I'm hoping they'll calm down after some time. I put leaf litter, some bark, and various hiding places for them. I'm not entirely sure what I can feed them though as a main staple though.

I presently have several plethodon salamanders and have kept many other species over the years. Besides my Dicamptodon, Sirens, Amphiuma & Necturus (actual waterdogs, N. beyeri)), I am currently taking care of Pseudotriton, Eurycea, Hemidactylum, Batrachoseps and a P. metcalfi. In the past I have had P. larselli, P. glutinosus, P. dunni, as well as Aneides ferreus. They are all fascinating animals.

I have in the past kept Plethodon cinereus and Desmognathus fuscus. The later for a very short while. I have kept Hemidactylium scutatum for the last 5 years. Plethodontids are the best!

Due for some activity in the plethodontid forum, so I will update with some of the past couple of years' successes. (*= have bred successfully and produced offspring, x=eggs, but no offspring). Some of these are protected species that were collected with required permits and part of a zoo collection.

*Aneides aeneus
Aneides flavipunctatus (niger)
xAneides lugubris
Batrachoseps attenuatus
*Bolitoglossa conanti
*Bolitoglossa rufescens
Bolitoglossa salvinii
*Desmognathus aeneus
Desmognathus folkertsi
Desmognathus monticola
*Desmognathus ocoee
*Desmognathus welteri
Desmognathus wrighti
*Ensatina e. klauberi
*Ensatina e. platensis
*Ensatina e. xanthoptica
*Eurycea bislineata
*Eurycea longicauda
*Eurycea lucifuga
*Eurycea wilderae
Gyrinophilus p. porphyriticus
*Gyrinophilus p. dunni
Gyrinophilus p. duryi
*Hemidactylium scutatum
*Plethodon glutinosus
xPlethodon petraeus
*Plethodon shermani
Plethodon yonahlossee
*Pseudotriton montanus diastictus
*Pseudotriton r. ruber
*Pseudotriton r. schencki
Urspelerpes brucei

Tim, you are the man!

Here is my much shorter list, haha..

xAmbystoma maculatum
*Eurycea cirrigera
*Eurycea guttolineata

Hi I keep Plethodontids my temperature is always in the 60s and the list of what I have is.3 pesudotriton rubers
4 two lined
4 cave salamanders or as some call them spotted tail salamanders.
and 4 seal salamanders 2 northern dusky. they all live comfortable in a half water half land set up were the water is 55 degrees f . but I'm always looking for larvae red sals for sale if anyone is selling them please let me know.

Hello !
I'm one of the few french Plethodontid keepers with Plethodon cinereus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back