Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Seepage (in CC amphib glossary)

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm reading the Petranka book (and learning loads). Can someone tell me exactly what is a "seepage"?
I did a google search and didn't come up with anything edifying. Also if someone could link to a picture that would be very helpful.
Are they wet all year long or seasonally? thanks.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Far as I know, a "seepage" is a small natural body of water formed from water that has leeched through rock or soil. Sometimes you'll see them up against the outside of a cave wall or a cliff.

nate

Reaction score
A seepage is basically where groundwater is trickling/seeping out from the ground. Usually, a seepage is on the side of a hill, cliff, etc. and often in association with a spring or creekbed. The seepage itself is usually not big enough to ever be considered a small spring or creek, but has enough water flowing to be continually dripping or wet. In the southern USA, you'll often hear a seepage referred to as a "steephead".

They can be permanent or seasonal.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an example in a wooded valley. Water trickles out of the bank to form a small, shallow pool. You can't see them in the photo but there's plenty of salamandra larvae in there.

Attachments

• Canon EOS 350D 755.jpg
    Canon EOS 350D 755.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 361

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This was such a good thread that I copied the relevant posts to the Glossary.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!