Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long can they go between feeding?

Mojojojo

Reaction score
We are going on holiday for 8 nights, I was going to leave tadpoles for my axies to eat while we were away, but when I tested this today my two axies ate all 11 tadpoles in 3 hours:eek:. They have 2 white cloud minnows in the tank and their four babies which they are too lazy to catch. If I put some tadpoles in before we leave and they eat them all in 24 hours, will they survive the week?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It depends on how old your axolotls are. The older an axolotl gets, the less often it needs to feed. How old (big, long) are your axolotls?

-Eva

optimist

Reaction score
I left mine for a week without any food, and they were fine. Out of interest, how large is your tank -- 4 axolotls and two minnows can create an awful lot of waste, which could turn toxic quickly in a smaller tank.

Mojojojo

Reaction score
Not sure how old they are, got them in March 2008 they were quite little. We have had two lots of eggs which we haven't allowed to develop due to lack of facilities. Sorry for confusing in the last - we have 2 axies - gold male and wild female. Two adult minnows and four baby minnows in a 60l tank.

blueberlin

Reaction score
March 2008 would make them getting close to a year old, so they surely should be able to survive a week or two without food. You could increase their feedings beforehand, to build up a kind of reserve, if it makes you feel more confident about leaving them alone.

As optimist wrote, the greater concern would be that the tank gets polluted when left unattended. 8 days is normally a legitimate period between tank cleanings in a cycled tank. Although with 2 adults in a 60l tank, maybe you still do daily changes?

-Eva

Mojojojo

Reaction score
Do the usual tank cleanings once a week, Mojo (Gold Male) stresses during and after cleanings so keep it to a minimum. Tank set up has been working well, and I am planning to do a clean the night before we leave so that should be fine. Feeding up might be a problem, we leave in five days and after their pig out on tadpoles today they are not going to need to eat for at least a couple of days. Thanks for your help, they both have well rounded bellies so I feel more confident now they will be fine. :eek:

blueberlin

Reaction score
One of my best arguments against my husband for keeping axolotls is exactly that they do not prevent us from taking vacation. I'm sure yours will be fine.

... they both have well rounded bellies so I feel more confident now they will be fine. :eek:

Indeed. I almost wrote that most axolotls tend to be overfed, so yours possibly don't need any additional fattening up, but I wasn't sure I could say it in a nice way. :happy:

Have a nice trip, then!

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1